It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

gemini0617 HB User
Chronic Sinus infections.... please help!!! MRI attached

I have been having repeated sinus infections for the past year and they seem to be constantly getting worse instead of better.

I do have a low immune system, which both my Physician and I are aware of due to other health concerns, but now it's gotten to a point where the nasal drip is irritating my throat, causing swelling and even swelling to the point where my airway is getting blocked and I am forced to take short breaths.

I am tired of taking antibiotics over and over as I am on a long list of medications for more severe health issues. The antibiotics also seem to not even be working. This last antibiotic treatment seems to have accomplished nothing as I appear to keep getting worse and not better.

I have attached an MRI image that was done recently for another reason, and I admit I am no radiologist, but this does not look right to me. From the looks of it I have a deviated septum, but I am unsure if this is the cause or if there is more that could be causing this repeated problem.

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

FYI: I have already had my tonsils removed, but I still have my adnoids. Could the adenoids be playing a role in this?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sinus Only.jpg (14.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by gemini0617; 11-03-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Old 11-04-2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Chronic Sinus infections.... please help!!! MRI attached

Quote:
it's gotten to a point where the nasal drip is irritating my throat, causing swelling and even swelling to the point where my airway is getting blocked and I am forced to take short breaths.
This actually doesn't necessarily sound sinus related, it sounds more like complications from a type of acid reflux called LPR (Laryngopharyngeal Reflux) that can mimic the symptoms of asthma, cause post-nasal drip, and inflammation of the sinuses (and which can actually be made worse by antibiotics and other medications).

LPR is especially tricky because it doesn't cause heartburn or the other typical symptoms of acid reflux. You mention other health issues, but it's really hard to know what might be going on without knowing what those issues are.

As for the MRI image you posted, a single MRI image isn't enough to diagnose any type of sinus disease. Your septum doesn't look particularly deviated in that image, though one of your turbinates looks a bit swollen, but it's more likely that's the result of whatever is causing your other symptoms, not the cause.

You really need to see an ENT for an endoscopic exam to try to figure out if your infections are sinus related, immune related, or LPR related.

Last edited by gcsjr; 11-04-2010 at 03:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Chronic Sinus infections.... please help!!! MRI attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini0617 View Post
I have been having repeated sinus infections for the past year and they seem to be constantly getting worse instead of better.
I agree with gcsjr regarding one of your turbinates, the left one, that looks quite swollen. The main cause of swollen turbinates is allergy. Do you suffer from allergies? Have you been treated by an allergist?

I am not an expert, but when this MRI was taken, it looks like your maxillary sinuses, under your cheek bones, are quite clear and not a problem, at this point. If so, that is good news.

Quote:
I do have a low immune system, which both my Physician and I are aware of due to other health concerns, ... I am tired of taking antibiotics over and over as I am on a long list of medications for more severe health issues. The antibiotics also seem to not even be working. This last antibiotic treatment seems to have accomplished nothing as I appear to keep getting worse and not better.
Your allergies cause your left turbinate to swell. As a result of this swelling and irritation, and because of past damage to the membranes in your turbinate, your turbinate is prone to infection and re-infection. Until the old damage to your left turbinate is healed, you will be prone to infection of that turbinate, over and over and over again, in my humble non-professional opinion.

If you can keep the harmful bacterial away from the damaged turbinate, allowing the turbinate to fully heal, then your frequent sinus infections should become much less of a problem.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Closed Thread

Tags
adenoids, chronic illness, deviated septum, mri, sinus