It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

Gippaloo HB User
Sinus problems all winter

Can anyone give me some advice on how I can stop my sinuses from bothering me so much in the wintertime? Every winter my sinuses start to dry out, and I wake up with horrible headaches, and this morning I woke up and one side of my face was swollen so badly from them. I canít take anything related to sinus pressure or pain because it causes a rapid heartbeat so my doc told me not to take them. Is there anything I can do to alleviate the dryness in my sinuses? I donít have drainage really, and I have tried using a neti pot, but it only helps for an hour or so and the pain comes right back. I live in Arizona, so we get absolutely no humidity during the wintertime especially so that is when my sinus problems are really really unbearable.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User
Re: Sinus problems all winter

Do you have a humidifier? Here in the North East when it gets really cold and the heat is on a lot, my sinuses go wild.

My ENT gave me a spray bottle to use to rinse out my sinuses, very similar to a Neti pot, but it's a squeeze bottle. Sometimes I don't have any solution so I just use plain old tap water. It burns a bit, but it does help. Even taking a shower I sniff the water in and out a few times, that helps as well, but a humidifier does put moisture in the air. I hate it when you walk across the room and touch something and get a shock, then I turn the humidifier on.

Not crazy about the portable ones you put on your furniture, they can stain it, so I have a small floor model unit.

Try getting a small unit, they are fairly inexpensive. Good luck...JJ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Sinus problems all winter

I live in Utah and our humidity is low most of the year as well. I've struggled with sinus problems since I moved here.

A few of the things I've found help:

-Stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and steering clear of caffeine.
-Continue with the Neti Pot to help "cleanse"
-Try using saline nasal sprays. I like Ayr or Xlear. The Xlear has Xylilol in it that I think helps a bit extra.
-Try using a nasal saline gel. I find it lasts longer through the night to keep my nasal passage moist.
-Use a humidifier. I keep mine going almost 24/7. I prefer the ultrasonic ones. The big thing about the humidifiers is the white residue it leaves if you have hard water. I either use a humidifier with a filter or filter the water before filling the tank.

I also found out in a round-about way that "silent" reflux was also aggrevating my sinuses. Acid was making its way up into my sinuses in a gaseous form--who knew it came up so high. While I still have sinus problems, Acid reflux treatment has helped.

Closed Thread