It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
(female)

zeealice HB User
Angry pilinidal sinus (post-op) isnt healing

it has been almost 8 months since i had the operation to excise 4 pilinidal sinuses but the wound hasnt healed, it will close over one day when mum comes to dress it, then the next day it will be open again and it will just carry on like that when we thought it had closed up for good, a new wound appeared, the doctor perscribed me with Co-amoxiclav, they didnt work, in fact it opened up the initial wound and made everything worse.
i feel so trapped and alone like i am the only one who has had this healing problem, my blood sugar has been tested, i'm fine i have taken a look around on the internet for underlying health problems and none of them fit the bill. the wound is constantly infected no matter how clean i keep it. 8 months is an abnormal healing time considering the average healing time is 6-8 weeks not months.
it's really painful to sit down everyone in school just thinks i'm just trying to get out of P.E when i actually like P.E so why would i try and get out of my favorite subject?
so does anyone know of any underlying health problems that cause abnormally slow healing and an infection prone wound? im a generally normal teenager, i WAS normal weight until this sinus ruined everything. and i am not diabetic or hypoglycemic.
sorry about the vague info just gimmie a shout of what info you need.
thanks for any help

Old 01-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: pilinidal sinus (post-op) isnt healing

I think you're on the wrong board.....do you mean a pilinidal CYST ?
a friend had surgery for that and it takes a while to heal....
this isn't a sinus issue.....you might want to post on the "back health" board

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
(female)

zeealice HB User

i was told by my surgeon it was an infected pilindal sinus. a hole just above the anus but if its a cyst so be it

Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

it is ABSOLUTELY a cyst......maybe you misunderstood him
a sinus is in your head/face/nose area......you've heard people who have a cold and are clogged up complain about their sinuses ?
it's 2 totally different things!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
(female)

zeealice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
it is ABSOLUTELY a cyst......maybe you misunderstood him
a sinus is in your head/face/nose area......you've heard people who have a cold and are clogged up complain about their sinuses ?
it's 2 totally different things!
okay okay i'm obviously wasting the NHS's money and everyones time. even bothering to try and find answers

Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

why do you say that? you're not wasting anyones time or money
I'm just telling you that to find answers you need to ask the right questions. Now that you know what the proper name of this is, do a search on the computer! And YES it takes quite a while to heal......my friends took years

Old 01-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
(female)

zeealice HB User

Quote:
why do you say that? you're not wasting anyones time or money
I'm just telling you that to find answers you need to ask the right questions. Now that you know what the proper name of this is, do a search on the computer! And YES it takes quite a while to heal......my friends took years
i've done hundreds of searches and there is nothing out there, it just gives me the underlying health issues i dont have such as diabtetes and hypoglycemia. my surgeon has obviously given allot of false info, it was meant to be 6-8 week healing time not months, the nurses at my local doctors think that the healing time is also abnormal. and i obviously am wasting peoples time i've been told numerous times i'm just another waste of time by school staff because i cant participate in P.E, i'm wasting your time even posting this. i dont even know why i bother living anymore when i can never find answers
for the record the searches were based on slow healing wounds, not just the op site has been affected

Last edited by zeealice; 01-06-2011 at 11:17 AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I've known it to be caused by trauma to the area....a guy I knew got one when he took a fall snowboarding and landed on his tail bone

also they can be caused by an ingrown hair

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. My friend at work had 5 surgeries and still has trouble with it, although it has healed up better than is was, it still drains occassionally

The following user gives a hug of support to rosequartz:
zeealice (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The word sinus, in terms of anatomy, can mean anywhere you find a cavity in the body...the sinuses of the face are an example. You have a sinus node in the heart. There are "sinuses" all over the body and a pilonidal sinus is what you are describing but this board is for people with problems of the facial sinuses.

I've answered many people with problems from a pilonidal infection so you can do a search and find those using the pilonidal word...spelling it correctly helps when doing any kind of search and that may have been your problem.

I have also had the problem and so has my husband. Mine healed after surgery and then broke open again and I had treatment for it for many, many months. My understanding is that I still have at least 1 sinus back in there, very deep that formed after surgery. A sinus in this case is basically a cavity within the tissues that shouldn't be there.

You should have healed by now but it could be that you have formed another one deeper than the ones already opened and drained. And it could be infected and so it drains into the operated on ones and makes them infected too. I would see another surgeon about it. Some of us are just prone to getting these. Has to do with the bottom of the spine not closing properly before birth.

There was a discussion on this under the Back Problems board but more often than not, it shows up in the General Health board. But I will watch for your answer here.

sorry you are suffering...................Jenny

Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
(female)

zeealice HB User

Quote:
I've known it to be caused by trauma to the area....a guy I knew got one when he took a fall snowboarding and landed on his tail bone

also they can be caused by an ingrown hair

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. My friend at work had 5 surgeries and still has trouble with it, although it has healed up better than is was, it still drains occassionally
okay, i think he said my one was an ingrown hair that caused it. luckily i have only had one op so far (well 2 if you count the stitches that failed, not really an op though) , but i am currently waiting on a skin graft appointment as mum just told me, it sounds really painful.
@jenny so there we go, i'm seing a plastic surgeon and i'll no doubt see another surgeon as well. mum keeps cracking jokes about it to keep my depression from taking too much of a foothold, but fails miserably. about the spine thing, is that honestly true? i heard it wasnt something i was born with :P
anyway i'll extend this tomorrow thanks to you both anyhow. as for the hugs i like hugging people who help

Last edited by zeealice; 01-06-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

My doc told me mine was something I was born with but I guess it can come from all sorts of problems.

But don't get depressed.....I know I can make you laugh about it.

When I was 22, I had to go into the hospital for knee surgery...a brand new type of surgery. So new, the admitting office didn't know it was knee surgery. I ended up being admitted...on my 23rd birthday...to the general surgical floor instead of orthopedics. So I took my own birthday cake in with me...wasn't going to ruin my birthday!

When I got to the hospital, I ended up sitting by this dorky looking guy in admitting. Got up to the surgical floor and the dorky guy was in the room across the hall. He came over for cake that evening. He was having an infected pilonidal cyst removed. I had had mine removed 2 years earlier.

We ended up going down to surgery together and we talked at length while waiting. He was really quite nice. And single. I went home that night but came back to visit him the next day...and the day after. But he left a day early and I never got his phone number or address. One of the nurses thought we made a cute couple and, risking her job, gave me his address from his chart.

Long story short, we got married 8 months later to the day. To this day he tells people he exchanged one pain in the a$$ for another.

We'll celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary in April.

Thanks to a pilonidal cyst!

Jenny

Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 AM   #12
(female)

zeealice HB User

wow, that was a really funny and cool story to read.
my pilonidal story is allot more boring, i seem to have made friends with the nurses who take a look on it's progress now and again, but that's about it. they all have a laugh and a joke when taking a look. i'm really looking into the possibility that maybe another sinus is still there, i seem to have got really prone to them as soon as the first appeared, 1 turned to 2 then 2 turned to 3 and so on, so i might have another one in the open area like you said.
happy anniversary

Last edited by zeealice; 01-07-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Ask to be refered back to the surgeon who did the initial surgery.

Zinc (50mg/day) and vitamin c (500mg/day) have been shown to greatly speed wound healing

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

The Following User Says Thank You to jonnstar For This Useful Post:
zeealice (01-07-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
(female)

zeealice HB User

thanks jonnstar i'll try both of those

Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
(male)

JohnDoe44 HB User

Healing this condition is not as easy as a normal wound, basically because of where it is. There are a number of stages in healing this properly to ensure no infection and it does take time. It should not take as long as the OP has stated though, so a return visit to the GP to express concern is def. in order.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Closed Thread