It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
(male)

Jvin HB User
I have had a foggy, heavy head since just before Christmas.

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I have had a foggy, heavy head since just before Christmas 2010. It is accompanied by mild dizziness. Symptoms first started when I was doing some cleaning around the house and doing lots of bending up and down. At the time I believe I had a mild head cold.

At first the symptoms were more severe, with lots of dizziness (not vertigo), and fogginess. Symptoms were worse if I was driving, bending, moving my head around a lot, or grocery shopping, and generally better if I was laying down watching TV or something.

Now 2.5 months later, symptoms are better but still fairly constant. I feel slight pressure around my sinuses / behind eyes, and fogginess and heavy headed. And when out in the wind a few weeks ago I came in and my ears hurt like heck.

I have a history of sinus trouble, with constant post nasal drip and always feeling the need to clear my throat and sinus.

I also have TMJ, my jaw feels locked if I try to open it too wide, and will crack if I force it. I saw a orthodontist a few years ago and he said my top pallat was narrower then my bottom jaw and did not fit together properly so my jaw was kind of free floating? IDK if any of this could contribute to my symptoms.

One last thing, is that I have wisdom teeth that I never had removed that really don't have enough room.

I see the doctor again on Monday. First appointment back in January he mentioned that it could be BBPV, but after doing some research I am pretty sure thats not what I have. I have been getting pretty discouraged lately after researching my symptoms and seeing post after post of people saying that they have had their symptoms for years and nothing seems to work

I really hope to get to the bottom of it with my next doctor visit. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Everyone
Jeff

Edit: I've also read about vestibular damage, and I was wondering if this sound like a likely culprit? If so any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User
Re: I have had a foggy, heavy head since just before Christmas.

Jeff:
I was wondering if you got any resolve yet? I have similar symptoms. Very heavy head and a balance problem, also ear popping, tinnitus, post nasal drip and a slight feeling of moisture in the nasal passage. I went to the ENT and he said my eustation tube is not operating properly and the fluid comes in and out so sometimes my ears fill up with fluid and then i lose hearing. I had a balance test and everything was fine. He felt my balance problem is neurological. I have gone to a neurologist and had many tests because I also have tingling on the top of my head and all tests were negative. I have never had sinus problems before. I got sick with a virus 5 yrs ago and i have been ill every since. I think I have a post viral type of syndrome. I have lots of other symptoms also. I am wondering if my whole nasal and balance and ear problems are candida. Do you know anything candida? It is an overgrowth of yeast in the body which can effect the sinuses. What do you think? LaLa

Old 03-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
(male)

Jvin HB User

Haven't seen my ENT yet but have an appointment scheduled. I have heard of this yeast overgrowth before and considered it may be the culprit to some of my ongoing symptoms, however I have not pursued it and am not sure how to diagnose it??

Someone on the Inner Ear Board suggest that I may be experiencing vestibular neuritis. I did some research and have to say that it seems very likely that this it my problem.

I'm sorry to hear your also experiencing similar symptoms. I will say with honesty that I am the last person you want to ask for advice. This has been my first post on this message board and I am not very knowledgable at all with any of these disorders.

I would recommend creating your own thread and see what some of the other more inlightened members have to say.

Best of Luck
Jeff

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
(male)

yalie22 HB User

Hi Jvin, we're in the same boat.. Are you feeling any better?

I have a very mild but constant head ache, nose pretty much blocked all the time, constant phlegm from maxillary sinus, and a little bit of ear trouble which I'm guessing is some fluid from Eustachian tubes. Has been persistent since end of October!! Though I did have one whole good month in December. What really irritates me is the constant feeling that I am sick, sometimes I even doubt if its just in my head since its been sooooo long. Feel really tired in the evenings, am not even half as productive or enthusiastic as I used to be. I've had periods where it became much worse. It got better but its never completely gone.

Let me know how you're doing. Did you try any treatments?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
(male)

ZHpike0478 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Jeff:
I was wondering if you got any resolve yet? I have similar symptoms. Very heavy head and a balance problem, also ear popping, tinnitus, post nasal drip and a slight feeling of moisture in the nasal passage. I went to the ENT and he said my eustation tube is not operating properly and the fluid comes in and out so sometimes my ears fill up with fluid and then i lose hearing. I had a balance test and everything was fine. He felt my balance problem is neurological. I have gone to a neurologist and had many tests because I also have tingling on the top of my head and all tests were negative. I have never had sinus problems before. I got sick with a virus 5 yrs ago and i have been ill every since. I think I have a post viral type of syndrome. I have lots of other symptoms also. I am wondering if my whole nasal and balance and ear problems are candida. Do you know anything candida? It is an overgrowth of yeast in the body which can effect the sinuses. What do you think? LaLa
While I am not a doctor, your ENT sounds like he is trying to rush you out. Balance, ESPECIALLY with inner ear fluid build up, is more than likely what is causing your balance issues.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
(male)

phranc2002 HB User

Any resolve? I am too experiencing the same problems for over 8 months. Multiple visits to ENT and GP and no help. It's getting hard to function.

Feel I need to guide my ENT to a solution. I had a procedure done to open my sinuses. No resolve. I go monday for follow up.

Had sinus scan and nothing abnormal. Guess i need to push for CT?

I sleep with a CPAP machine and can't help but think that's part of the problem.

Has anyone has success with treatment for this unknown illness?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Phranc:
I still have no resolve. I was just thinking about going to a otologist/neurotologist. It was a suggestion from someone on this board. What exactly are your symptoms. Do you have a balance issue also? LaLa

Old 12-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
(male)

phranc2002 HB User

It probably be easier to tell you what are NOT my symptoms. LOL.

Pressure/Full ness in ears but can still hear (i think). Pressure/fullness in cheeks. Pressure/fullness behind eyes. No discharge. Post nasal drip. Nose NOT plugged up. Face feels hot but no fever. It's constant when I'm awake. As far as balance, it's not that bad...yet. I do feel unsteady some times but never like i'm going to pass out or anything like that.

ENT balooned by sinuses but that has not cleared it up. I can breathe better now, but the other symptoms still there. I go back Monday for follow up. I just want some guidance to help this ENT find out whats wrong. This can't be normal. Maybe its not even an ENT problem...but it sure feels like sinus problems!

I am at my wits end. I'm still functioning but barely. I don't know what other doctor to see!

Do our symptoms sound similiar? I don't know how else to explain how I am feeling.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Phranc:
I am at my wits end also. I have similar symptoms to you but not exactly. I have post nasal drip that i have never had in my life except since this whole thing started. I have fullness in my ears sometimes. Last winter my ears clogged so bad out of nowhere. I could not hear out of one ear for a few days and also the pressure in my head was beyond control. I have not had that happen since but i get sudden sharp pains in my ears once in a while, maybe once a day. One of the many ent's i went to said my tubes where not in the right direction and they will on occasion fill up. Nothing much you can do about it. I also seem to have more of a runny nose type of feeling but not a cold and my eyes also look red. I used to feel pressure behind my eyes, but i don't get much of that anymore. My biggest issue is tingling on top of head and a balance problem. All the other symptoms seem almost like allergies, but i don;t have allergies. Another twist could be candida. Have you looked into that concept? Candida can cause sinus issues but a regular dr. would never acknowledge that. What about trying a natural dr or even a chiropractor. Lots of them now do adjustments for sinus issues and lots of them are now treating different ailments in a natural or holistic way. Just a few thoughts. Keep me posted. lala

Old 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Phranc:
I still have no resolve. I was just thinking about going to a otologist/neurotologist. It was a suggestion from someone on this board. What exactly are your symptoms. Do you have a balance issue also? LaLa
I have HORRIBLE allergies and one of my main complaints is balance. I was in a store the other day that must have had a lot of perfume in it because I walked like the city drunk. Once out of that place, I was much, much better. So, yes, allergies can give you a very foggy head, cause balance problems and the list goes on and on and on. I also receive allergy injections, which are of some help, but I am at my wits end about this balance issue when around women who wear perfume. I do hope this is of some help to you. Oh, I think the balance goes crazy because the vessels in the head swell, but I am no doctor. I have also had bvvp, the ear problem, and that seems to raise the dickens when my allergies are bad.

Closed Thread