It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

cchavez2307 HB User
Sinus Help- Very desperate

I am really needing help in knowing I am not alone in this, and could use ANY advice. I feel like a good background of information is helpful so here goes:

I am a 26 year old Female who has a history of migraines and sinusitis. I recently have been experiencing more issues with my sinuses and am at a loss as to what to do with these sinus headaches.

To begin, I have had problems with migraines since I was 16 years old. Migraines run in my dad's side of the family. Once I was in college I began experiencing problems with my sinuses and got frequent sinus infections and began seeing an ENT. The ENT prescribed me with Imitrex to help with the migraines which worked great in the beginning but eventually make me throw up profusely within 5 minutes of taking it so I stopped. As far as my sinuses go, I have a very hard time breathing at night because when I lay down everything clogs up. I inquired about surgery for a deviated septum but he said it wasn't deviated enough to have surgery. My headaches and sinus issues became such a problem the Dr. eventually sent me for a CT scan but nothing was found. This was in 2008.

I also have had big problems with nose bleeds. Around the same time (2008) I also had the inside of my nose cauterized which helped for a while. I tend to bleed mostly in the summer or when I get overheated. I have learned using over the counter Ocean helps as well to keep my nose moist on the inside and not dry.

I have learned to take better care of my migraines over time by myself. I frequently use Excedrin Migrane but try not to too much because of the caffeine. Mostly, a better diet has worked wonders for the migraines. So no alcohol, heavy greasy foods, wine or chocolate. I still get about one a month around my period which I figure is triggered by hormones.

Recently I have mostly had serious issues with my sinuses. I have had 3 sinus infections since this past September 2010. I have been given antibiotics each time as well as Flonase. The antibiotics work (I have even been given the very strong Avelox) but it keeps coming back. My symptoms include severe sinus migraine and pressure which lasts 2-3 days, nausea, vomiting, blurriness of vision and numbness in my face (on the side where my sinus is having problems; usually my right side). I switched to Nasonex to see if it would help but after 2 weeks of severe vertigo I finally realized it was the Nasonex that was making it worse. Once I stopped nasal sprays I haven't had any symptoms of dizziness and nausea. I still however have nausea if I get a severe sinus headache. Yesterday I tried 800mg Ibuprofen and Sudafed and it was the only thing that actually worked to make it go away. However, it ended up coming back even worse. It is important to note, I don't really have any allergy symptoms, just the pressure and pain of inflamed sinuses.

I would really like to know that I am not alone in this. Sometimes I have panic attacks by the 2nd or 3rd day of being in pain. I try to work through it but sometimes I just can't focus. I HATE having to take time off work (I work two jobs) and I just really want to find a medication that helps. Any other remedies/information would be useful as well. Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to cchavez2307:
amelia agus (04-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Sinus Help- Very desperate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchavez2307 View Post
... Recently I have mostly had serious issues with my sinuses. I have had 3 sinus infections since this past September 2010. I have been given antibiotics each time as well as Flonase. The antibiotics work (I have even been given the very strong Avelox) but it keeps coming back
Sinus infections, like an infection anywhere else in the body, do damage and cause wounds. If a wound is allowed to scab over and heal then repeat infections are not expected.

However....... the warm, moist sinus and nasal membranes do not heal and scab over as effectively as damaged areas in other places of the body and skin.

Antibiotics do a great job at killing a bacterial infection in sinus membranes, but, after the antibiotics are stopped, opportunistic bacteria can enter the damaged area and WHAMMO, another damned sinus infection.

One way to stop the vicious cycle of one sinus infection after another, like I used to get, is to frequently protect the damaged sinus membranes, from another bacterial attack, until they are allowed to heal and scab over.

I suffered from repeated sinus infections for decades. I have now gone about 10 years without sinus infections. I used a very diluted mixture containing Hydrogen Peroxide, within my sinuses until my sinus/nasal membranes totally healed and scabbed over. That ended my decades long sinus infection misery.

So...... in a nutshell, if someone can avoid another sinus infection while their damaged sinus and nasal membranes totally heal, then there is much less chance for suffering from another infection, IMHO.

I am not a medical professional, nor have I any medical training whatsoever. I am just posting about what I have done to rid myself of repeated sinus and nasal infections, and my theory of why it worked for me.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Last edited by Machaon; 04-01-2011 at 09:43 AM.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
(female)

dexilant HB User
Re: Sinus Help- Very desperate

I have been suffering from sinus problems for about 22 years. I had Acute Sinus Infections and had sinus surgery about five years ago. I did everything I was told to do - remove all carpet from the house, put a humidifer on the furnace, etc. Still the sinus infections persisted. It was round after round of atibiotics. I was always making a snorting sounds to clear my sinus because I felt like I was sufficating.

Then a couple of years ago I was also diagnosed with Gastroesophagel Reflux and given pills to help with this. The acid is only noticable if I head fatty/greasy or rich foods.

In the past year my sinus problem was so bad that I began vomitting up mucus and bile from my stomach once or twice a week. It would take up to 30 minutes to extract everything.

What I learned through a friend with the same two problems was that sometimes the acid from our stomaches can go into your throat and sinus cavities while we sleep and cause sinus problems. For the past two week I've been taking Dexilant, which is a prescription drug for GERD and it is a miracle that my sinus problems are about 95% resolved. I am for once in 22 years hopeful and full of energy.

Closed Thread