It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
(male)

durkmusic HB User
Nasal swelling and congestion at night

Mostly around night time when I'm tired and going to bed the right side of my nose sweels up. It is too far back to see but I can tell it's swolen and cannot breath in through that nostril because it closes when doing so but I can breath out. My nose also gets very congested at night as well as some congestion and sometimes runny nose during the day. This has been going on for almost half a year now and I'm sick of nasal strips and everything else. I also see blood when I blow my nose in the morning. I don't know what's going on. I've tried eliminating milk, I've switch from contacts to glasses, I've changed my diet, I've exercised every day, I've tried it all. Nothing seems to work. I've taken antibiotics, vitamin C, and other stuff like that. I've flushed my nose out a lot and still. I guess it's a sinus infection? My doctor thought it was alergies... guess not. Idk what to do. Or what this is. I just want to get better. I don't want to treat the symptoms I want to cure the cause.

Thanks.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Nasal swelling and congestion at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic View Post
Mostly around night time when I'm tired and going to bed the right side of my nose sweels up. It is too far back to see but I can tell it's swolen and cannot breath in through that nostril because it closes when doing so but I can breath out.
It's quite common for allergies to get worse at night, causing increases in Asthma and Sinus Problems. The nasal passages have three turbinates, all of which will swell up during an allergic reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - congestion at night
My nose also gets very congested at night as well as some congestion and sometimes runny nose during the day.
Sure sounds like allergies to me, especially food allergies.

At night, when the body shuts down and produces extra Melatonin, it also shuts down the adrenal hormones. Adrenal hormones tend to "lessen" allergic reactions and swelling during the daytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - blood in mucus
I also see blood when I blow my nose in the morning. I don't know what's going on.
Blood can be a worrisome symptom. It could mean that there are damaged areas within the nasal passages. If so, that could lead to infection, or indicate a current infection. Or..... the blood could just mean that a small vein within the nasal passages has broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - have milk?
I've tried eliminating milk, I've switch from contacts to glasses, I've changed my diet, I've exercised every day, I've tried it all. Nothing seems to work.
There are many foods and drinks and additives and pollutants in one's diet that can cause allergic reaction. Commonly, allergies are irritated by a combination of foods, allergens, pollens, pollutants, irritants, etc. Eliminating all of the many, many allergens is not easy. However...... if you can eliminate the "major" allergens you can limit allergic reactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - wants cure!
I just want to get better. I don't want to treat the symptoms I want to cure the cause.

Thanks.
Have you ever considered allergic testing or allergy shots? The shots will protect you somewhat from airborne allergens such as grass, tree and weed pollens. Combining allergy shots and food/drink avoidance can result in significant improvements to allergic reactions.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-13-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
(male)

durkmusic HB User

Wow thank you for your awesome reply. The reason I didn't think it was alergies is because it is winter here and there is nothing in the air. Or at least it was winter and nothing changed. I guess it could be food alergies or something. I have considered doing an alergy test but I didn't know if it was worth the money. Should I just go ahead and get that done? The answer is probably yes. I guess I will just do that. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic View Post
Wow thank you for your awesome reply.
Thank you for responding to my post. I hope that you can get some relief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - not allergies??
The reason I didn't think it was alergies is because it is winter here and there is nothing in the air. Or at least it was winter and nothing changed. I guess it could be food alergies or something.
Someone can be allergic, or sensitive, to almost anything. Foods, drinks, dyes, dust, animals, materials, inks, paper, perfumes, odors, plastics, gasoline, exhaust, pollens, pollutants. In other words...... if you are an allergic, or sensitive, person, you can run but you can't hide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkmusic - allergy testing costs?
I have considered doing an alergy test but I didn't know if it was worth the money. Should I just go ahead and get that done? The answer is probably yes. I guess I will just do that. Thanks again.
If the money is tight, like it is for the majority of us, then there are some things that you can do, in the interim, to attempt to lessen your discomfort.

For instance, avoid dust, animals, anything with a strong smell (although it doesn't have to be smelly to be a problem), inks, rugs, tobacco smoke, etc.

Also, for a while, consider avoiding processed meats (plenty of additives), frozen dinners, pre-made gravies, puddings, take-outs, milk products, soda etc. Try to avoid anything pre-made with a ton of different ingredients. The more ingredients, the more likelihood that you react to something in the food.

If you can, eat as many organic foods as possible, since those foods do not contain a lot of pesticides, hormones and additives. In other words, eat as healthy and as simply as possible for a while. If you start getting some relief from your uncomfortable symptoms, then you can start including back into your diet one of your favorite foods at a time, until your symptoms start coming back again.

I am not a health professional, nor do I have any medical training or education. The ideas I post are just what has worked for me and relieved my symptoms. So, please just consider my ideas as just that, and not as medical advice.

Regards, and have a nice weekend!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 04-13-2011 at 11:31 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
MarkMM (04-07-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
(male)

MarkMM HB User

Hi,

Machaon suggestions and advice is terrific. There is not much to add.

Have you consider using a prophylactic (preventive) medication or spray before going to sleep?

When I have to travel to a crowded place (like a subway, hospital), I use a nasal spray that has prophylactic properties. I believe this helps me reduce the probability of getting sick.

Good luck.
Mark.

Last edited by MarkMM; 04-07-2011 at 08:10 AM.

Closed Thread