It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
(male)

NickyHatten360 HB User
Wanted: Tips for Maintaining Sinus Health

Hi There,

Over the last few years I've had some pretty bad problems with my sinuses.

It's not the sinus headaches that bother me so much, it's the blocked ears & loss of hearing that accompanies it (I'm a working musician so it bothers me when I can't hear properly - wear earplugs all the time when playing to protect my ears.)

Basically I've realised that it's about time for me to start taking care of myself, so I feel 100% as much as humanly possible.

Here's a list of symptoms & timings:

I smoke, so after a weekend of gigging (and therefore smoking a lot) sinus problems start to kick in. These are sinus/face pressure, blocked ears, dry stuffy nose.

After a cold it's pretty standard that some sort of sinus issue follows.

I'm basically looking for some tips, foods to eat, and general advice on how I can start to sort this issue out (obviously giving up smoking is one of them :P ). I've been to the doctors/ENT numerous times, only recently have I been told that it's an issue I'll have to live with because of the shape of my sinuses. I'm also allergic to dust mites & a few preservatives.

So yeah, any advice will be truely appreciated!

Nick

Last edited by NickyHatten360; 04-19-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
(male)

MarkMM HB User
Re: Wanted: Tips for Maintaining Sinus Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyHatten360 View Post
Hi There,

Over the last few years I've had some pretty bad problems with my sinuses.

I'm basically looking for some tips, foods to eat, and general advice on how I can start to sort this issue out (obviously giving up smoking is one of them :P ). I've been to the doctors/ENT numerous times, only recently have I been told that it's an issue I'll have to live with because of the shape of my sinuses. I'm also allergic to dust mites & a few preservatives.

Nick
Hi Nick,

Other than the obvious quit smoking tip, here are three natural ways of preventing a Sinusitis attack.

Net-Pot: This is a ceramic pot shaped like a tea pot, which is filled with saline solution. This solution is poured in the nose to clear the nasal passage and sinuses. The saline solution acts as a mild antiseptic and is beneficial for the nose.

Drug Free Nasal Sprays: Use a drug free nasal spray to treat your sinuses. Their action is similar to a Neti-pot, except they are more effective and more convenient. Their ingredients tend to be better than a Neti-Pot. Just as a Neti-Pot, these are drug free, non-habit forming and gentle on the nose. The spray that I use (Sinox Nasal Spray) even have preventive / prophylactic properties which reduce the probability of getting a Sinusitis attack. I usually spray Sinox before going to a crowded place or a dusty/polluted place.

Yoga and Exercise: Yoga is the ancient Indian technique for physical and spiritual well being. Yoga lays a lot of emphasis on breathing exercises. Exercises for Sinus treatment are Surya Namaskara, Sarvangasana, Ardha Chandrasana, Ardha Halasana.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Wanted: Tips for Maintaining Sinus Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyHatten360 View Post
... I've been to the doctors/ENT numerous times, only recently have I been told that it's an issue I'll have to live with because of the shape of my sinuses.
Doctors/ENTs always blame the patient when they can't fix a problem.

Quote:
I'm also allergic to dust mites & a few preservatives.
In my opinion, most sinus problems can be greatly improved by avoiding foods, drinks, chemicals, odors, allergens, irritants, preservatives, for which one is allergic. Cigarette smoke, unfortunately, has around 100 additives, so as long as you smoke, or come into contact with second hand smoke, your system will continue to absorb around 100 additives, either through your skin, or through breathing them in.

Quote:

Nick
Well..... if I could give a suggestion.... why not post about your sinus problem on the Allergies Board? There are a lot of fairly active and helpful fellow patients over there.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Closed Thread