Deciding on surgery for chronic sinusitis
After suffering with chronic sinusitis for a while it has been reassuring reading some of the other posts here and seeing Iím not alone. Iím currently at a point where Iím deciding on surgery and Iím hoping somebody else may have a similar situation and have some advice.
I started having problems a year ago, I began feeling pressure in my head (always starting in the corner of my left eyebrow), usually starting in the afternoon. I'd also end up with post nasal drip and a rundown feeling that would last the rest of the day. This continued for weeks, I hoped it would clear up on its own but I continued to get worse. I came home every day feeling horrible, the pressure in my head felt like it spread around my face. Causing around my eyes to feel puffy and swollen. I also started getting stomach pain, which got worse throughout the day. After over a month I gave in and went to my PCP who diagnosed a sinus infection and put me on an antibiotic. Almost immediately I began feeling better. All the symptoms went away. I continued to feel fine for several months until slowly the pressure returned in the same place. Eventually all the earlier symptoms returned and I went back to my doctor. Again I was put on another long course of antibiotics but this time I didnít get better. I would feel okay for a few days and then get sick again. After a 2nd round of antibiotics I was sent to an ENT.
I should also add that Iíve been tested for allergies (twice) and was negative for everything. Iíve also tried just about every kind of nasal spray and antihistamine on the market with no results. (Nasal sprays just go right down my throat)
The ENT had me go for a CAT scan which showed my sinuses were clear. The only thing noted in them was a slight deviated septum and ďMucoperiosteal thickening in the ethmoid air cellsĒ. The ENT had me try a saline rinse with Pulmicort added to it. After a week I began noticing improvement, instead of feeling sick every day I would feel okay for a few days then have a bad day. It also reduced the severity of the symptoms. But it was still not a full cure so my ENT had me try other options. I tried oral steroids but didnít see any improvement, I also tried another round of antibiotics while doing the nasal rinse. But after I stopped using the Pulmicort I only got worse. Iím back on the Pulmicort now, doing a little better but still feeling ill several times a week. My ENT told me he feels like weíve tried all our options and heís suggesting surgery, though he told me he canít promise results. Which has made me feel very uneasy.
Iím nervous having surgery performed by a doctor whoís not sure itís going to work. Iíve been sick for almost a year and Iím exhausted. This has affected my work and home life because I never feel like Iím at 100% and by the end of the day Iím just trying to keep my head up and wait until I can get home to crash. Iím terrified Iíll have the surgery and it wonít work because I honestly have no idea what to do after that. Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!