It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

icedancer HB User
Neti Pot/Saline Rinse Side Effect? Psychosis?

Hi all,

I used the neti pot for a couple days and have had a weird reaction. My body temperature dropped from my normal 98.4 to 95.7 for two days (it's back to normal now) and I have been dealing with confusion, difficulty concentrating, pain in my sinuses, and dizziness. While the dizziness is annoying I'm more disturbed by my inability to think straight. I also have anxiety and I woke up with what I think was a panic attack last night. I have the urge to cry easily, too.

I have an appointment with my doctor on Wednesday, but I'm getting a bit worried and don't know if I should go to urgent care. Has anyone had this disorientation and confusion after using a neti pot? Is it just my body flushing out toxins?

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
(female)

icedancer HB User
Re: Neti Pot/Saline Rinse Side Effect? Psychosis?

So no one responded so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for the average person. Turns out the neti gave me an ear infection that made me dizzy and then set off some deeper anxiety issues. Now that the ear infection is being treated I'm feeling better. I won't use the neti again. My doctor said for some people it works and others it just gives them sinus and ear infections. I googled ear/sinus infection and anxiety and found out the combo is QUITE common so my reaction makes sense. I'm just still SO stunned at how violent my anxiety was. I went off the deep end and had two panic attacks. Use the neti with caution. I'm going to explore the sinus-anxiety connection in more depth now...

The Following User Says Thank You to icedancer For This Useful Post:
WhoNoseWhat (05-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
(male)

WhoNoseWhat HB User
Re: Neti Pot/Saline Rinse Side Effect? Psychosis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedancer View Post
So no one responded so I'm assuming this isn't an issue for the average person. Turns out the neti gave me an ear infection that made me dizzy and then set off some deeper anxiety issues. Now that the ear infection is being treated I'm feeling better. I won't use the neti again. My doctor said for some people it works and others it just gives them sinus and ear infections. I googled ear/sinus infection and anxiety and found out the combo is QUITE common so my reaction makes sense. I'm just still SO stunned at how violent my anxiety was. I went off the deep end and had two panic attacks. Use the neti with caution. I'm going to explore the sinus-anxiety connection in more depth now...

Hello, I just wanted to say you're not alone. I have the same problem as you did. I could deal with sinus pain and pressure. But when I could feel this problem was causing terrible anxiety, panic attacks, and psychosis I did a search on Google and found this thread. I was surprised and relieved that we both share the same symptoms. Its scary to feel your starting to go crazy. Feeling dizzy, pressure in my cheek, ear popping, extreme anxiety, sweaty palms, tooth pain, nausea, gulping to swallow, sinus pressure. Then theres the feeling of feeling weird mentally, and not understanding why or how this was caused. It feels like borderline psychosis. I have had wisdom teeth surgery and tonsil surgery to correct this problem, but it always comes back.
Calling the ENT tomorrow. After alot of searching online, I believe it could be a chronic sinusitis problem. Either way, I need some help, and I thank you for taking the time to sign on and post this. Thanks!

Closed Thread