It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
(male)

Joestan05 HB User
Sinus problems please help!

Hello,

For months I have been having sinus problems. At times when it is really bad I will constantly blow out light green / yellow sticky mucus. I constantly have post nasal drip that is worse at times. The last couple of weeks I have been coughing up mucus that was green and now mostly clear, I don't have a cough though... I just feel it accumulate and I cough it up. I went to the doctor and all he gave me was nasonex and Neilmed sinus wash. I have been using the wash and nasonex and my sinuses have been clearing out. I went from blowing out green mucus to that ending, but I still have congestion I can feel in my head at times and the mucus that I am coughing up is still there, although clearer. Is this sinus problems? Allergies? I never really have experienced these symptoms until this year and my doc hasn't given me an answer. And I recently lost my insurance so I can't go back right now. Any suggestions to help alleviate my troubles? Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus problems please help!

The two most common causes of post nasal drip are allergies and acid reflux (particularly a type of acid reflux called LPR that irritates the lining of the esophagus).

Because you don't have insurance, your best bet would be to try taking an antihistamine daily for two weeks to see if your symptoms improve (in which case allergies are the most likely cause of your symptoms). You have lots of options but generic Cetirizine (Zyrtec) is a good choice. It's relatively inexpensive, shouldn't make you tired, works for 24 hours at a time and you don't need a prescription (loratadine is also an option but isn't quite as strong). Just take one of them every day for 2 weeks to see if your symptoms improve.

If they don't improve, you may want to consider a 4-week course of loratadine (PrilosecOTC) to see if LPR could be causing your symptoms (particularly if you occasionally have heartburn, which is not always a symptom of LPR but is a good indicator that you have reflux issues).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread