It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
(male)

jasel HB User
chronic sinus infection, sinus drainage all the time, and gerd

i've been diagnosed with a chronic sinus infection.....i had surgery on my sinuses to remove scar tissue from previous sinus surgeries and to open up sinuses....it seemed to kinda work......every since the surgery i've had non-stop sinus drainage......nothing makes it stop......i've been on probably 12-13 antibiotics since last september......i take nasonex every day......and sometimes they give me medrol steroids......those make me feel good and i can breath.....for the last month i've will wake up in the morning with the worst stomach ache and my nose will be all stuffy.......then when i stand up and get moving a little bit my nose will open up and i can't stop it from running............all day it is draining.......with the constant drainage it always feels like i have acid replux and gerd.....i know i have it.......is that what is making me feel short of breath all the time and always gasping for air......i don't smoke.......how can i stop the sinus drainage all the time.....and is it bad to keep wanting medrol to take when that's the only thing that will let u breath right and give energy to be productive.......
THANKS
JASEL

Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: chronic sinus infection, sinus drainage all the time, and gerd

In all likelihood the GERD is what is causing your post-nasal drip, breathing problems and contributing to your sinus symptoms.

GERD can be difficult ton treat. It usually requires the help of a gastroenterlogist who will prescribe a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) like PrilosecOTC and lifestyle changes (avoiding common trigger foods like alcohol, chocolate, caffeine and tomato-based sauces, raising the head of your bed 4"-6", eating at least 3 hours before bed and avoiding tight fitting clothes).

It generally takes 4-12 weeks before you'll see significant improvement with this tratment regimen, but getting your GERD under control should lead to improvement in all of your symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
(male)

jasel HB User

Thank u fir ur help and information a Nd such a quick response...very much appreciated...I don't eat chocolate,can't drink alcohol cause I have epilepsy,my bed is some fancy bed and I wouldn't be able to raise it....I'll have to figure something out

Old 05-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

HelloMedKitty HB User

The GERD is caused by your use of medrol steroids, if left unchecked it could lead to a whole host of painful problems which may have already started (the bad stomachache may be a sign of gastritis.) You should start on Prevacid 2x a day and take it for 2-3 weeks (even if you start feeling a lot better do not stop taking it during that time.) GERD can also cause breathing problems or trigger asthma in asthmatics so please be careful. Also, such extensive use of antibiotics and medrol steroids may be what has gotten you to this condition of constant post nasal drainage. Please look into nasal rinse/irrigation with saline and probiotics. Also, include a strong probiotic in your diet for the next few months. If antibiotics did not work for your sinuses, it may most likely be a fungal/yeast or allergy problem. Have you been tested for allergens? Also, it might be best to cut out all dairy from your diet for now as they can create mucus (not ideal for asthmatics and sinus sufferers.) Please also get your Vitamin D levels checked, sometimes boosting your Vitamin D levels can stop all infections in nasal passages. Good Luck.

Closed Thread