It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
(male)

mrtorres009 HB User
Can sinus disease cause chronic short of breath?

I found out that I have sinus disease and I need to have surgery for that. I just need to know if Sinus disease is one reason that causes short of breath. The reason why I asked because I still have short of breath for few years. My surgeon said it is possible for that reason. I do notice I started having gerd and numb in my neck when I got sinus disease. Let me know what do you think about this. Many thanks.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
(male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User
Re: Can sinus disease cause chronic short of breath?

Certainly when you have clogged sinuses you can have trouble breathing through your nose. But if you're having shortness of breath while also breathing through your mouth, I would consider getting a chest x ray or consulting with a pulmonologist. The first thing most doctors do when patients present themselves with shortness of breath is to rule out heart or lung disease. Like you mentioned, shortness of breath is also experienced by those of us with acid reflux because your esophagus is backed up with acid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

I suspect that the sinus disease, shortness of breath and GERD are related, but not in the way you're thinking.

GERD can actually cause asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath) and sinus inflammation, so it's likely that GERD is causing your shortness of breath and is contributing to your sinus disease, not the other way around.

GERD causes inflammation in the esophagus that can radiate to the bronchi in the lungs which mimics asthma and causes shortness of breath. In some cases the GERD inflammation can radiate all the way to the sinuses causing inflammation which keeps your sinuses from draining correctly which contributes to sinus disease.

I know a number of people (including myself) whose sinus issues and breathing improved dramatically when they got their GERD under control.

Last edited by gcsjr; 09-21-2011 at 04:05 AM.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
(male)

Heymate HB User

Just to add, I have had asthma and Chronic Sinusitis. They are connected for sure in my case. I had some unrelated stomach issues and GERD was ruled out. When the sinus's are infected gravity can pull it down to your chest. As my pulminologist said...until you get your sinus issues fixed you will have asthma.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
(male)

GregBear4you HB User

mrtorres009,

I have sinusitus for years now. I get bad drips in the back of my throat, and that gets in my lowers lungs. YES, I feel short of breath. Over the years i have developed Asthma.
When I breathe in cold air or have drafts blowing on my head, I almost always get sick with both sinus and lung issues.

Try drinking hot tea, or anything hot. This helps me. Some Eucaliptus oil in boiling water and gently breathe in the warm/not hot, steam.

NeilMed Sinus rinse is very good. Can get at the drug store with a bottle of distilled water.
You may be developing asthma like i did. You might want to see a pulmonary doctor.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
(male)

mrtorres009 HB User

Hello again, I recently had sinus surgery last week. The ear ringing has reduced little bit better and I am no longer to have headache. However I still do struggle with short of breath.

I always thought that sinus disease was the reason but I am wrong about that. I do aware that I do have acid reflux which is pretty very high. I do wonder if you do believe that acid reflux has to do with short of breath? I have that acid reflux since 2007.

It doesn't make any sense because I have surgery for hiatal hernia and gall-bladder in same year of 2007 and it is supposed to go away. I do have tests result from cat-scan and barium swallow x-ray showing that my esophageal is not functionally properly like foods and drink keeps coming up frequently. Cat-scan for abdominal shows that I might have failed repair hernia. I did take EGD from Gastroenterology doctor and he said it looks normal. I feel like disagree with him because I have that acid reflux keep going on since 2007.

If you know any better answer for this about how to solve with my short of breath, let me know please and it is important to me. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Acid reflux can definitely cause shortness of breath. For some people the acid will irritate the entrance to the airways in your lungs and causing inflammation and asthma-like symptoms (shortness of breath) that often doesn't respond well to traditional asthma medications.

I would recommend that you take PrilosecOTC every day for two weeks (you can buy it over the counter without a prescription) and do your best to adjust your diet and lifestyle to minimize your acid reflux by doing the following:

-Raise the head of your bed 4-6 inches
-Avoid reflux "trigger foods" like coffee, chocolate, peppermint and tomato-based sauces
-Don't eat for at least 2 hours before going to bed
-Avoid tight-fitting clothing around your abdomen

It will take some time for the acid reflux symptoms to improve so you should probably see your doctor and ask about taking PrilosecOTC on a daily basis after the initial 2 weeks is over.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
(male)

mrtorres009 HB User

I took that PrilosecOTC medicine before for few months and it didn't work. What shall I do? I have tried all medicines to reduce acid reflux but none of them worked. I think something is really going on with my esophegeal and stomach that is not functionally working. What do you think of it?

Last edited by mod85; 10-23-2011 at 05:38 AM.

Closed Thread