It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
(female)

koala bear HB User
terrified of surgery

My ENT just told me he recommends surgery for sinus disease that three months of antibiotics did not clear up. My last cat scan showed that my left sinuses are still completely blocked. Is surgery the only option? I was so horrified by the explanation of what the surgery involved that my mind went blank and I couldn't think of any questions to ask him. Has anyone had a fairly positive outcome with this surgery? I'm scared to go under general anesthesia. Can it be done with a local? I hope some more experienced people can give me some guidance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
(male)

leedsman7 HB User
Re: terrified of surgery

Im also considering surgery, but baloon sinuplasty not endoscopic because that involves
cutting of bone and tissue and lot of recovery time needed, Baloon sinplasty takes 2 hrs outpatient or in doctors office.
I have jhad sinusitis for years and antibiotics cleared it up but now my ct scan shows mucus thickening and I feel the worst I ever did.
I have fatigue, fullness in head, eyes get swollen, I think it is allergy related, but my turbinates are swollen and larger than normal, I am stuffy, I get neck pain and get tired
very fast, I think this has lowered my immune system and I am ready to get rid of it.

What are your symptoms, keep in touch and be positive.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Is surgery the only option?
Ultimately you may end up needing surgery but if you've only had antibiotics so far, you still have a few medical options. Has your doctor prescribed a course of oral corticosteroids (prednisone) to help reduce the inflammation and open your blocked sinuses? That would certainly be something you should try, along with a steroid nasal spray and sinus irrigation with a Sinus Rinse bottle before surgery.

Quote:
I was so horrified by the explanation of what the surgery involved that my mind went blank and I couldn't think of any questions to ask him.
Do you remember the explanation and the type of surgery he is recommending? There are several different types of surgery and knowing more details would help me understand what he's planning to do and whether it's appropriate in this situation.

Quote:
Has anyone had a fairly positive outcome with this surgery?
Yes, but there are lots of qualifiers. The surgery by itself rarely solves the problem. Sinus issues are generally the result of allergies or environmental irritants (or in some cases acid reflux) so getting your allergies under control is key to surgery being successful. Generally you will continue to need a nasal steroid spray, sinus irrigation (at times) and allergy medication. Many people do need revision surgery at some point in the future as well.

It's also critically important to understand the type of post-surgical care your doctor plans. In order for the surgery to succeed it's important that the doctor schedule several follow up visits to debride the tissue in your sinuses (remove scabs that can turn into scar tissue). Generally the first visit will be 1 week after surgery (and can be a bit unpleasant), you'll have another a few weeks later and at least one more. Without the correct follow up the scar tissue from the surgery can actually cause problems similar to the sinus inflammation.

Have you considered getting a second opinion from an ENT who specializes in the treatment of sinus disease (generally you'll find them at major medical centers or teaching hospitals).

Quote:
I'm scared to go under general anesthesia. Can it be done with a local?
Not really. Some procedures can be done under conscious sedation but it's pretty unpleasant. It definitely can't be done under local anesthesia.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
(male)

marsbonfire29 HB User

Bear...

You know something? Remember FDR's famous quote regarding fear: "All we have to fear, is fear itself!". That having been said, remember that on the other side of fear, is relief and the hard, self-won knowledge that you were strong enough to do what had to be done. I speak from experience, not from being a bystander:

1. 2 April 2011 frontal endoscopic sinus surgery.
2. 4 Sept 2011 preparatory surgery for frontal sinus obliteration surgery.
3. 9 Sept 2011 frontal sinus obliteration surgery.

Don't delay what has to be done--it will only get worse.

Peace

The Following User Says Thank You to marsbonfire29 For This Useful Post:
rsierra1025 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
(female)

Amkey HB User

Bear,
Did you end up having the surgery? I had sinus surgery (FESS), turbinate reduction, and a septoplasty in May! It has been the best decision I ever made. The surgery was a piece of cake! I was never in any pain, and mine was bad. I was actually under for 3 hours when it was only supposed to take 1.5 hours. I highly recommend you do the surgery if you want any kind of lasting relief.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
(male)

rsierra1025 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbonfire29 View Post
Bear...

You know something? Remember FDR's famous quote regarding fear: "All we have to fear, is fear itself!". That having been said, remember that on the other side of fear, is relief and the hard, self-won knowledge that you were strong enough to do what had to be done. I speak from experience, not from being a bystander:

1. 2 April 2011 frontal endoscopic sinus surgery.
2. 4 Sept 2011 preparatory surgery for frontal sinus obliteration surgery.
3. 9 Sept 2011 frontal sinus obliteration surgery.

Don't delay what has to be done--it will only get worse.

Peace
Marsbonfire -- How are you now a ways out from your obliteration? I know that was a rough go round. are you feeling better? i'm headed in for my 7th surgurey this morning as soon as I'm done typing this. They are doing endoscopic again so I guess all I can do is keep my fingers crossed. I have a feeling I'll be crossing the same bridge you did sometime in the future (Hopefully not near).

Last edited by rsierra1025; 12-02-2011 at 05:41 AM.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
(male)

AlexVB HB User

Im getting a cat scan next week to im really nervous i got recomended by an ent to.. Good luck

Old 01-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
(female)

mydove HB User

I was also terrified of surgery & had a very positive outcome.

My sinus infection lasted 7 mo & did not respond to antibiotics or allergy meds. Finally referred to ENT by my dentist. CT showed right maxillary blockage so I had uncinectomy Jan 4, 2012 (opening of bone into maxillary sinus to unblock & increase drainage). Result was total symptom relief.

As for the surgery itself: About 90 min under general anesthesia. Woke up feeling pressure about 3/10 on pain scale (sinus infection was worse). Day 2 & 3 involved office visits to remove the "packing," which I had in only 1 nostril (thankfully). This was the most uncomfortable part. I have read there are dissolvable dressings but my doctor used the packing. After the packing was removed I was bothered by some scabbing or "crusting" for about 2 weeks, which finally disappeared after frequent warm sinus flushes (neti-pot) & lots of ocean spray. By Day 16 I felt and still feel 100% wonderful.

I took about a week a 1/2 off work, which was a little longer than needed. I could have gone back in about 1 week.

Closed Thread