It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
(male)

leedsman7 HB User
baloon sinusplasty

Anyone try baloon sinusplasty instead of endoscopic surgery"

I am considering it because my sinus problems have really gotten worse.
I had ct scan done two weeks ago and went to my ent doctor, he says I have infection in maxillary sinuses with mild mucosal thickening and some mucosal thickening in my right frontal sinus.

Also my turbinates are enlarged, and my nasal passages are probably affected.

I have fatigue, redness in eyes in the morning, neck and shoulder pain
and cannot function at work like I used to. I feel spaced out, brain fog
during the day and just wait to get home to rest and go to sleep at night.

My quality of life has diminished whereas I do not care to go out only because I have to go to work, it has all gotten worse. in the last 7 weeks.

I dread getting up in the morning wondering how I will feel.

Anyone else have these symptoms or are considering this type of surgery?

I have taken all kinds of antibiotics and now homeopathic remedies, nasonex, nasal irrigation, with no relief

Last edited by leedsman7; 09-17-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: baloon sinusplasty

Quote:
Anyone try baloon sinusplasty instead of endoscopic surgery"
I've had both. They're not really interchangeable so which approach is the best depends on the specific situation you're dealing with.

Quote:
I have infection in maxillary sinuses with mild mucosal thickening and some mucosal thickening in my right frontal sinus.

Also my turbinates are enlarged, and my nasal passages are probably affected.
Have you been on a course of oral steroids followed by the use of a nasal steroid spray to help reduce the inflammation? That's definitely something you should talk to the doctor about before resorting to surgery.

Balloon sinuplasty can help enlarge the openings to your sinuses so they drain correctly but it won't do anything for the mucosal thickening or the enlarged turbinates (and I wouldn't recommend surgery to reduce the size of your turbinates unless it is done be a highly trained surgeon who does more than just trim the turbinate tissue).

You might also consider allergy testing and treatment (or, if you have GERD, treatment for GERD). Any kind of surgery will only be effective if you get the underlying cause of your sinus symptoms under control.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
leedsman7 (09-21-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
(male)

leedsman7 HB User

Thanks for your reply

I have had prednisone and antibiotics in the past and also still was taking allergy shots.
This time I have had prednisone three times one orally and two injections,
different kinds of antibiotics and it has not helped.I even took allergy shots a few weeks ago thinking it was allergy.

I am also trying Sinuvil a homeopathic and even that has not helped,

I just feel baloon sinuplasty is my last resort, because I have been taking Nasonex and nasal steroids, but I am stuffy, fatigued, tired, neck pain all the time until I take advil.

How did your sinplasty surgery go. did you feel relief?

Please reply and thanks for responding

Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
How did your sinplasty surgery go. did you feel relief?
The balloon sinuplasty was relatively easy. Procedure took about 2 hours (+ prep time and recovery time) and it definitely helped, but I had the procedure for a very specific situation - a left frontal sinus opening that was not draining correctly due to inflammation.

I took a day off from work but was back in the office after that and had a stent in place for 6 weeks to make sure the openings stayed patent.

Balloon sinuplasty works well for that type of procedure because the balloon can be inserted into the opening and inflated to expand the opening.

It's not the appropriate solution for polyps, inflammation or removing tissue but it definitely worked to get my frontal sinus draining correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
leedsman7 (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
(male)

leedsman7 HB User

Thanks for reply

How long ago did u have this done?

Did you have to take painkillers afterwards?

Did it relieve your stuffiness and I feel it would help drain my sinuses
and he will clean out my sinuses from any mucus or other stuff in there.

My sinus feel full and I still have neck pain

Old 09-24-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

I had balloon sinuplasty done in April of 2011 and took painkillers for less than a day (the pain from the intubation was worse than the pain from the actual sinuplasty).

It didn't noticeably reduce my stuffiness (but frontal sinusitis doesn't necessarily make one feel stuffed up anyway) but did improve the drainage.

Closed Thread