It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
(male)

Stormbringer HB User
Sore throat and nasal congestion

This is my problem:
About a month ago, I started to have something like a common cold, I had runny nose, sneezing and a bit of cough. I took some pills, and some symptoms were gone (the runny nose, the sneezing...), but some cough remained, and the nasal congestion as well.
I have gone to see doctors, and they have given me antibiotics and medicine, but they don't seem to work. I went with a nose, ears and throat doctor and he told me that I've an irritated throat and nose, he gave me medicine and antibiotics as well, but I don't see much of an improvement.
My throat doesn't hurts me, I don't feel pain, and according to the doctor, it doesn't look SO bad, just irritated. Also, I don't feel pain in my nose...but it's still kind of congested.
I was afraid that it would be the ARS, afraid that I had HIV...but many people have told me that my symtoms are not like the ARS...I don't have fever, or rash, or pain swallowing, I just feel really confused...I don't know what's going on with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sore throat and nasal congestion

Quote:
I was afraid that it would be the ARS, afraid that I had HIV...but many people have told me that my symtoms are not like the ARS...I don't have fever, or rash, or pain swallowing, I just feel really confused...I don't know what's going on with me.
I'm a little confused, your symptoms - congestion, runny nose and sore throat - sound exactly like the symptoms of allergic rhinosinusitis (ARS). Have you tried taking an antihistamine like Zyrtec or Claritin every day for 2 weeks to see if the symptoms improve? If it's allergies you should notice an improvement in your symptoms after a few days (and you need to keep up the antihistamines until the end of allergy season).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
(male)

Stormbringer HB User

I really haven't tried that...with ARS i meant the Acute infection of HIV...which is the reason I'm feeling kind of nervous and worried.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

If you are worried that you have HIV you should probably get tested for it rather than casting about for other potential causes of your symptoms. Having said that, the primary symptom associated with HIV-related ARS are a rash and high fever that clear up after about 3 weeks, so it seems unlikely that your sinus symptoms are related.

Either way, if you are worried that you have HIV, please get tested.

Closed Thread