It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(male)

JSM66 HB User
Sinus Surgery Recovery Process

Hi,

It's been 7 days since my surgery (Septopasty and Endoscopic Sinus Surgery), and my doctor has been very dissapointing from a post-op perspective. I know he is a well regarded surgeon, so I'm hoping for some help from this board.

Can anyone tell me what to expect during the first couple of weeks after surgery? I know everyone's different, but I'm in need of some general information.

Like i said, it's been 7 days, I finished a course of antibiotics (Keflex) and am in relatively little pain. I do have congestion that won't budge, and get a bit of relief from rinses. I have a low grade fever, and feel exhausted. I did go to the doctor yesterday, and he suctioned out some debris - although he "forgot" to numb my sinuses - ouch!

I've regained most of my taste buds, but still cannot smell. I'm guessing this is due to it only being 7 days since the surgery.

So bottom line, when did people start feeling better after surgery? How long did it take? I know I'm impatient, but with so little information from my doctor, I'm desperate for answers.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus Surgery Recovery Process

Usually people seem to start feeling better after about a week, but since you had a septoplasty at the same time it will take a bit longer. Generally they will tell you to expect to feel cruddy for about a week and then you'll start to improve gradually after that.

The septoplasty definitely makes the recovery longer so you may not to notice much improvement for another few days.

Definitely keep doing the rinses as they'll help to keep any scabs or debris from building up, and will help open things up (and if you have any pain medication left save some for your next appointment in case they have to remove any more debris).

Last edited by gcsjr; 09-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
JSM66 (09-29-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
(male)

JSM66 HB User
Re: Sinus Surgery Recovery Process

Thanks gcsjr,

I'm just hoping I made the right decsion to have surgery. It seems like the surgery can be hit or miss. I'll give it a few more days before contacting my ENT. I don't expect to be doing cartwheels at this point, but was hoping to be feeling much better.

Appreciate your feedback.

Closed Thread