It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
My story of Nasal and General Breathing Problems

I've had nasal (and occasional breathing) problems for over two years now. I've had a turbinate coblation, and a later septoplasty and turbinate reduction (submucosal resection) about 2 and 1.5 years ago, respectively.

Not every time, but my inability to breath through my nose has occasionally given me general breathing problems as well. I actually told this to my ENT once, and he told me that he didn't understand, and looked at me like an idiot. Since then, I kind of avoided the breathing part of it and have just talked to them about my nasal issues/congestion.

As far as when I get congestion, I "sometimes" can get it and will be just fine breathing through my mouth - Not a big deal, just annoying, and will maybe just have some dry mouth later. But sometimes I have my nasal blockage/congestion, and I feel that my breathing is more difficult, and this has been a recurring theme for the past two years, back from when it started until now, which has caused lost jobs, substantially limited social life, and an overall not so great part of my life.

I don't find that the nasal rinses have substantially helped me when I've tried them. To the contrary, sometimes the water perhaps gets stuck behind some inflamed nasal tissue, or in some other recessed part of my nose, and my breathing is actually worse. I have been on Flonase (have tried Nasarel at one point) pretty much 70% of the past two years. My verdict is that I have good days and bad days when I'm taking it, which I also have when I'm not. In my opinion, I should be feeling good more often than not if I am to say that it's an effective treatment. The best thing that works for me is Pseudoephedrine. Not perfect, but better than the rest of the garbage out there. I had some pretty good success with 12/24 hour Allegra/Claritin D, with just an acceptable amount of headache as a side effect; Afrin is the only other thing, but we all know about that...I keep it next to me in cases of emergency.

As far as my doctors/ENT's, I've had the unlucky experience of ending up going to them on my "good days," most of the time, and they all complimented my surgeon on his work and pretty much said that no further surgery was indicated. At this point, I wouldn't mind having my entire lower turbinate removed. I've heard of Empty Nose, but am not as sure about that, considering the sheer volume of inferior turbinate removals they were doing before coblation - You would assume that more people would have it.

Anyway, that's my story - I already feel a little better that I let it out. Would really appreciate having a conversation with others with similar situations and knowledge.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: My story of Nasal and General Breathing Problems

It's quite common to have both Sinusitis and Asthma.

Do you ever have problems breathing, labored breathing, tight chest, wheezing, difficult breathing, uncomfortable breathing?

My Sinusitis, which used to be awful, is under control through diet, avoiding allergens and irritants and Flonase. My Asthma is under control with Flovent and avoiding allergens and irritants, but I still get labored, or uncomfortable breathing if I come into contact with certain allergens or irritants.

⇒ Eliminate household items that are toxic!
⇒ Balanced, healthy, low glycemic diet
⇒ Lots of Exercise
⇒ Avoid night allergens, toxins
⇒ Coreg!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

Sorry for the delay Machaon. I absolutely have labored/difficult breathing at times. They did do a lung function test about 3 years ago, and on that day, I was clear of allergies and feeling fine, and so I obviously passed the test.

It's a very strange concept, that I can have nasal allergies/congestion and have problems breathing, but that at other times, I can have some congestion, but I can just breath out of my mouth without any problem - In those cases, it's just a mere annoyance. As I said before, I'm doing the Flonase all the time; On the contrary, I do at least 4 sprays to each nostril daily. I'm also considering taking daily antihistamines. One of my ENT's some time ago wanted me to try out the Flonase, as well as a daily dose of Zyrtec of 6 weeks to see how it went. I honestly believe that it was the same as it was before.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
(male)

Ray579 HB User

Hello,

I was doing an internet search on Turbinate Reduction surgery and came across this board. I hope you are still active and responding.

I have been coping with severe allergies and blocked nasal passages for years now. After trying numerous alternatives to help quell my symptoms such as: OTC meds like Claritin-D, Zyrtec, Flonase, Nasex and Rhinocort
Routinely using a neti-pot as well as Vicks menthol inhalation

but nothing as given me relief and allowed me to breath normally.

One ENT advised a turbinate reduction using either a somnoplasty or coblation. Seeking a second opinion, another ENT immediately went the route of a septoplasty.

Returning to the original ENT, he did indicate that my septum was mildly deviated, however this statement only came when when I asked about my septum and a possible septoplasty. He intimated that although fixing my slight deviation would fix my nasal blockage more permanently since, I assume, he could also reduce my inferior turbinates during the procedure, he was more inclined to shrink the turbinates as they were the main culprits to my blockage. There are couple different options to execute this procedure - in-office, local anaesthetics, out-of-pocket payment vs. hospital, general anaesthesia, insurance partial coverage. Either way, the results are said to be the same with minimal recovery time.

I have recently returned from an ENT appointment from the more conservative doctor. He sprayed some medicine inside my nose to shrink the inferior turbinates. If this is what breathing normally is supposed to feel like, I have been in serious discomfort. I have never been able to breath so freely and effortlessly. Both nasal passages are patent and breathing seems so easy.

I am bothered by the fact that second doctor immediately optioned to have an invasive procedure. I did ask him about other options such as radio frequency reduction and the doctor admitted that he was less confident with the technique and more comfortable with his hands in the surgery route.

I am tempted to go the coblation route though there are horror stories all over the place. I haven't read anything more positive about somnoplasty in forums. One journal article I read showed that patients who went with microdebridement have significant more satisfaction to their quality of life than those who opted for radiofrequency reduction.

Anyhow, if you can offer any advice or options, I'd be most welcome to your opinion.

Closed Thread