It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

modlothropworry HB User
Facing Mod. Lothrop/Sinus drill out -recovery expectations?

I can't find a lot on what to expect after the Modified Lothrop procedure I'm scheduling. The surgeon has done many but would like to have questions ready before I meet with him again this week. Stents? Packing? When both removed? Overnight stay? I've read worst of pain is over in 5 days but how severe and when will I be close to normal? THANKS in advance to any who've had this!!! Most online info is for standard endoscopy sinus surgery and it seems to me this is a bit more complicated. . .

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Facing Mod. Lothrop/Sinus drill out -recovery expectations?

The Modified Lothrop is a more complicated surgical procedure but the recovery is the same as any endoscopic sinus surgery. The use of stents and packing varies from surgeon to surgeon - some use them, other don't, so you'll have to ask your surgeon about those specific things (my surgeon didn't use stents or packing).

In my case there was no overnight stay, just a couple of hours in the recovery room and then 5 days at home taking it easy. I had a little pain - about the same as a headache - for the first 36 hours but it was easily managed with Tylenol (and they will likely give you something stronger just in case you need it).

I was close to normal after 3-4 days but still had some swelling in my nasal passages that took about a week to fully resolve after the surgery (with lots of irrigation to help keep crusts from forming).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread