It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
How can I convince my ENT to do additional Turbinate Reduction?

I have my whole story in detail in another thread, but the short story is that I've been suffering with nasal congestion/breathing for about 3 years. I first had a turbinate radiofrequency ablation, and 6 months later had a Septoplasty and additional turbinate reduction. I believe this one was/is termed a submucosal resection of the turbinates (they shave some of the bone, and leave the tissue).

These surgeries haven't helped me with my problem. Although I am "slightly" better at managing my symptoms than I was before, it's still a major problem, and to be frank, my work, social and life in general, have suffered because of it.

After my surgeries, and this was probably a while ago, I saw two doctors (my original surgeon, and another ENT) and they both said that they wouldn't recommend additional reduction. Unfortunately, I was having a couple of my "good" days, so they weren't able to see me at my worst. I've read all over the place that people have to repeat the turbinate coblation procedure a number of times, sometimes, before they reach their desired condition, to where they can often completely stop with all medications, and so I'm wondering why I can't be one of those people.

I've read and heard about Empty Nose Syndrome, and while I don't completely doubt it, I find that there is not much written specifically about it in medical research, and so am slightly skeptical about it. After all, wasn't it normal procedure some years ago just to remove the entire turbinate? I would expect to see many more cases of this condition if that were the case. Anyway, would appreciate the advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: How can I convince my ENT to do additional Turbinate Reduction?

I would listen to your doctors and stop trying to get them to do something that recommend against.

Complete removal of turbinate tissue causes LOTS of problems (whether you call them ENS or not) including: dryness, altered drainage patterns, mucus recirculation, difficulty breathing in cold weather and, at its worst, pain and an altered sense of airflow that can make it feel like you can't breathe.

I don't have ENS but had significant portions of my turbinates removed by an ENT who didn't buy the existence of ENS and I have the first 4 things on that list. My ENT (Steven Houser) happens to be the leading expert on ENS and he sees 30-40 patients a day who are suffering from some of the symptoms of having too much turbinate tissue removed. Only a small number of them have full blown ENS with pain and major breathing issues, but the turbinates are there for a reason - to help condition air as it moves into your nose and to help direct drainage from your sinuses out of your nose. Without them you are going to significantly alter the natural function of your nose regardless of whether you develop ENS or not.

If you have multiple doctors telling you that no more surgery is necessary, I would recommend you listen to them and focus your energy on trying to figure out what's causing your issues (allergies, acid reflux, etc.) so you can address the cause and not the symptoms.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for your reply. I knew that by the way I wrote this thread, I would get people slightly combative by my tone. It sounds absolutely dumb to try to convince someone who has been doing this for decades to think something else; Further, I'm sure it sounds insensitive to doubt something that a lot of people suffer from, with ENS.

I just wish people realize how much I suffered and am still suffering. Just last night, I woke up at about 3:30/4:00 AM, somewhat out of breath, with my nasal passages blocked and my breathing not great. I had some aching in my chest, which I often get when I am not getting enough air for myself, and spent some time getting in full breaths until I felt somewhat normal. This is just a small sample of one of the many things that I go through in my life.

I tried every conceivable medical way to manage my symptoms, but still couldn't and can't find a way to beat this horrible thing that never goes away. So, again, I apologize for my perhaps arrogant tone in this thread, but as you can read, this is a huge problem, that has, quite honestly, failed medical management for years, and the gist of what my last ENT said when I told him everything I was doing to try to manage this (earlier this year) was "I don't know what else I can do."

FYI, my last surgery was about 2 years ago (not sure if I clarified this).

Last edited by Leo255; 10-31-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Do you have any sense of what the underlying cause of your turbinate inflammation is? If you've only been having these issues for 3 years it makes me wonder what triggered the symptoms.

In many cases it's impossible to get to a point where you stop all medications because there is an underlying medical condition that has to be controlled to keep the turbinates from becoming inflamed (allergies, chemical sensitivity, GERD/LPR, etc.).

It may be more helpful to try to address the underlying condition that is causing the problem before even considering another surgical procedure.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #5
(male)

Well, as far as the underlying cause, I believe it is allergies. I think it is because there are specific surroundings, specific rooms in my house, etc. when I get a congested nose. Unfortunately, one of those rooms happens to be my own (just started to be that way, despite my effort to throw out a ton of stuff, clean it top to bottom, etc), which explains the trouble sleeping. I'm so used to sleeping in my bed, but am trying to work on setting up something in the living room.

Anyway, I believe it is allergies, but my allergy tests didn't show this. When I first had the skin test, I didn't have any significant sensitivities, and I later (one year later) gave my blood (believe they can now do allergy tests with just your blood) and they, again, didn't find any sensitivities. Not sure why (maybe I have allergies that they just don't test for), but it is what it is.

The reason why I say that medical management has failed is because I have been taking a nasal steroid (Flonase) every day seemingly forever, with minimal results. I also did the combination of Flonase and daily antihistamine pills (supposedly needs time so it can build up in your system) for a couple months, with similar results.

Luckily, I have found that a Claritin D 12/24 hours seems to be quite effective, and so this is why I say that I am at least a little bit better at managing my symptoms (doesn't help/can't take at night, though, as it is a strong stimulant). I don't like that I'm putting so much Pseudoephederine in my body, and hope that it's not damaging in the long run, but it is what I have to do to feel better.

That's just a little bit about what I think is the cause.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
(male)

amberqueen HB User

it almost sounds like empty nose syndrome might be better than swollen turbinates, thanx for the info on claritan

Closed Thread