It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

darklink2011 HB User
Prednisone withdrawal

Hey Guys I have been on Prednisone at 25mg for 3 days. Today is my first day off the drug and I am experiencing; Nausea, sadness, nervousness, slight shakyness and faster heartrate. Did I cause permanent damage to my adrenal glands? Is there anything i go do can get rid of the withdrawl symptoms?

thanks guys, it was prescribe for my sinuses :c

Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Prednisone withdrawal

You were on a VERY low dose of Prednisone so there is no way you damaged your adrenal glands. Prednisone is only associated with adrenal gland suppression at much higher doses over a longer period of time, and once you stop taking the medication the adrenal gland starts functioning normally.

What you are experiencing sounds more like the side effects from the medication, not withdrawal. Nausea, nervousness and swings of emotion are actually side effects that can accompany taking Prednisone. MIT takes a few days for the medication to "kick in" and you were on such a short burst that it's just now kicking in even though you've stopped taking it.

Those side effects should subside very quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #3
(female)

darklink2011 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
You were on a VERY low dose of Prednisone so there is no way you damaged your adrenal glands. Prednisone is only associated with adrenal gland suppression at much higher doses over a longer period of time, and once you stop taking the medication the adrenal gland starts functioning normally.

What you are experiencing sounds more like the side effects from the medication, not withdrawal. Nausea, nervousness and swings of emotion are actually side effects that can accompany taking Prednisone. MIT takes a few days for the medication to "kick in" and you were on such a short burst that it's just now kicking in even though you've stopped taking it.

Those side effects should subside very quickly.

Ahhh thats such a relief I was worried for a while, thanks for the detailed reponse

Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

you shuld be fine from the predisone. many people take short amounts in higher doses. It should all wear off in a week or week in halfs time. Coconut oil capsules are useful. My was put on four to five day 60 mg predisone for mono a while back and then i read all the scarry stories. After researching it from head to toe I realized the withdrawls symptoms are not long lasting and we used emerald coconut oil capsules as directed on bottle for a couple of months and it was good. You can read up on it. We used it to aid in a removing the toxins and also it aids in metabolism. It did all resolve quickly. We did have similiar shaky, irratable and feeling funky for a few days..at most a week in a half and then it was all fine again.

Closed Thread