It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
(female)

kristen7815 HB User
headaches after having sinus surgery

I am a fairly healthy female, 23 years old, minus my chronic sinus infections, colds, and fatigue so decided to get the same surgeries...septoplasty for a pretty badly deviated septum, turbinate reduction, ESS for chornic inflammation, tonsillectomy and adenoids. I am now 11 days post-op. I did previously have headaches which were tension headaches mainly when I was under a lot of stress (I am a student) but nothing like they are now!! I experienced my first migrane headache (light and sound sensitivity) as soon as I woke up from the anesthitic. I wanted to tell everyone to shut the **** up because it sounded like they were screaming and every word pounded in my head. The pain in my throat and nose was 1-2 whereas my head was a 10+ I was in tears from the pain and right away they gave me Ibuprofin 200mg tab, breaking the 2 golden rules after surgery; nothing solid or no NSAIDs (advil, aleve, excedrin, etc) The headaches vary on the pain scale, but are pretty much always there and are present right when I wake up. Anyways hydrocodone and acetaminophen do nothing and the best thing I do is just pile ice packs all around my head and sit in a dark, quiet room. Sometimes a good head/neck massage will knock out some of the pain too.

So I was just wondering if anyone has found out more about this?? I'm thinking it's either a. muscular; im sure they had our necks craned back at a weird angle for over an hour for the surgery b. nervous; where they burned off some of the nerve endings in our noses and now pain is referring to other areas in our heads??? c. still from chronic inflammation from the swelling of the surgery. ugh.

If you are considering having this surgery and already have headaches watchout!!! If your sinus or breathing problems are only minimal, I recommend trying EVERYTING before going under the knife.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 11-20-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Posts moved from old thread. Reference to old thread removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
(male)

zephak HB User
Re: bad headache 4 weeks after having sinus surgery and a septoplasty

Jennie or Alan or Kristen,

Any luck with treatments? Any pharmacuetical help?

For me, a healthy 56 yo male, three months post septal meatal plasty for an 's-shaped deviated septum' and FESS for significant mucosal changes in my frontal sinuses, I have frontal sinus pain and septum pain. I have been taking up to 6 Butalbital ASA Cafeine for the pain, but I am finding it not too effective and I dragging through my afternoons. I tried elavil for two weeks which did not help. Accupuncture can work, but it is expensive and short acting. Snorting and applying lidocaine can deaden the pain...My brother in law takes botox for tension pain (botox - another very expensive option)

My headaches are not migraine in nature, and not really tension, but they are daily, relieved with laying down and an ice pack. I take supplements, including magnesium. I have seen the ENT and my GP, there is no apparent infection.

I can breathe really well now after the sinus surgery! I still have a left deviation of the septum, but it is not the impossible s-shape as before... I can breathe, I get better sleep, I am not snoring (I think). Another big plus is that I am able to travel in aircraft without the sinus pain I had before! I also have other nerve type 'issues' which may be plantar fasciitis. I was checked for allergies and found that yeast is an allergen for me.

I hope that you found some improvement and please remember, misery loves company, rt??!! Perhaps you would rather just be without your headaches?

And how does one find relief? It seems that headache relief is a big guessing game.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

kristen7815 HB User

zephak,

I'm still having headaches, but not as bad. Pretty much what works best for me is listening to my body, and treating my headaches holisticially. So far I have found out that drugs like ibuprofin and hydrocodone help me temporarily only to have my tension headaches come back. Now I workout almost daily, eat healthy, drink water, take vitamins and try to manage stress. When I start sitting around, eating junk, procrastinating, having bad posture, my headaches get worse.

Did you do the sinus rinses? You might just still have crap stuck in your sinuses from post op, keep rinsing, buy a sinus rinse neti-pot squirt bottle to do a couple times a day.

If you can't afford accupuncture, try accupressure, it's the same concept accept you do it to yourself. just google accupressure sinus headaches; theres a spot in between your eyes, the widows peak point, temples, pinching nose by eyes, behind ear-lobes, on eyebrows, etc.

As for your yeast sensitivity, you might also wanna reseach something called candida. chances are you have been on a bunch of antibiotics form surgry that kill good bacteria in your body, leaving your body suseptabe to yeast. yeast can cause a bunch of different things like headaches and fatigue if you have an overgrowth, but medical doctors wont diagnose it bc its not taught in med school.

I have also cut wayyy down on my caffeine and sugar intake which was not easy! but it does help.

hope that helps!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
(male)

zephak HB User

Yep! Thank you for the advice!

That neti pot had me wondering... when I used it, my sinuses seem to hold water in the new passages I have after sinus surgery and I would build up sinus pressure and the saline would sometimes stream out (not drip drip, stream) after two or more hours if I got my head in the right position. Do you know what I mean?

Have you tried the tip the head back and fill the sinuses, plug the nose and tip forward hold and then release? I was doing that, but I wonder if it was just too much. Perhaps as you wrote, just use the squirt bottle neti pot, rt?
  • Will resume neti pot
  • Quit OTC and prescription drugs
  • Quit my chocholate chip habit
  • Keep exercising, eat healthy, add a pro-biotic into my supplements, magnesium and more
I asked the GP for some advice. All she gave was the recommendation to stop with the butalbital/ASA/Caffeine, so I will. I have no nasal discharge, just this mild to moderate to intense daily chronic headache. Oh, she wants to refer me, but the refered doctor wants a new MRI, and I have had one and a bunch of CTs recently. I am going to follow the holistic advice and deal with the stupid pain and whatever imbalances it is producing in my hormonal system, perhaps low dopamine...?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
(female)

kristen7815 HB User

I have the same thing happen to me when I use my neti-pot. I haven't heard of plugging my nose, I usually just tilt my head forward and slightly to the side im flushing to and lean over the sink. I still did get some stuck up there and told my ent about it, and she said to just lean wayy over to both sides so it ran out right away, and I didn't have saline just sitting in my sinuses.....I also used bottled water for my fushes...

Anyways im glad your going the natural route! Its frustrating to waste thousands of dollars on tests that come back clear. Hopefully you get your headaches under control!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
(male)

zephak HB User

Here is my latest experience:

As a long time sinus headache sufferer, post sinus surgery by several months, I visited a Chiropractor who helped reduce my headache. He also had good advice for stretching and neck/spine/foot care that was so much more useful than the vacuous stares I got from my inquiries to the GP, or comments like: "You will have a headache the rest of your life." Maybe I am a bit hard on the Medical Provider. There certainly is life from that side of the computer notebook.

It seems that there is a poor feedback loop with the medical profession. How do they ever figure out what works? I might be better off with ordering my own tests, if I am paying for it, why not?

There isn't a real easy answer to headache after sinus surgery, except: take care of yourself.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #7
(female)

tlpinto1 HB User
Re: headaches after having sinus surgery

I am having the same issues. Is it the weird placement of my neck. It's on the right side at the base of my neck and travelling across my ear to my temple. It is absolutely a 10! I have never experienced this type of HA. It is lasting about 4 hours and comes EVERY night between 9 and 11. ICE is the only thing that helps!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
(male)

zephak HB User

Here is something that is now working for me: Lidocaine Patch.

Closed Thread