It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Started Sinus Flooding last week. Have some questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalie22
Hi Machaon! I've started sinus flooding last week and have had great results! I have a few questions:
- how many floodings do you think it takes for an infection to drain out? I've done 4 in the last week and there's been a lot of improvement, but not sure if its completely gone yet.
- how much time do you recommend for one flooding? I go up to 20 minutes and feel that the longer I put my head down the better the result in terms of stuff coming out.

Do let me know... And thanks SOOOOO much for sharing your story. You are awesome!
I think that it is terrific that you have had some improvement from the sinus flooding! I hope that you continue to feel better.

Quote:
how many floodings do you think it takes for an infection to drain out? I've done 4 in the last week and there's been a lot of improvement, but not sure if its completely gone yet.
I am not a health professional, or student, so I can only give my own opinion.

I do not believe that Sinus Floodings with Peroxide, Baking Soda and Salt will kill an infection. The main purpose I used Sinus Flooding was to protect my damaged sinus/nasal membranes from reinfection, after I took a round of antibiotics. I suffered from many sinus infections, year after year, for decades, before I "accidentally" discovered that flooding my sinuses with diluted 3% peroxide would prevent a reoccurrence of my sinuses infections AFTER antibiotics stopped an infection.

What kind of improvements are you having?

Quote:
- how much time do you recommend for one flooding? I go up to 20 minutes and feel that the longer I put my head down the better the result in terms of stuff coming out.
When I used to do the floodings, I would keep my head down for quite a while. I figured that, the longer I kept my head down, the better the peroxide mixture would seep into hard-to-reach areas. If I remember correctly, I used to kept my head down between five and ten minutes, sometimes longer.

I was always a little nervous about doing the floodings safely so that I would not get any of the peroxide mixture into my Eustachian Tubes, where it could cause a lot of misery! The Eustachian Tubes lead into the Middle Ears and if they get plugged or some of the mixture gets into the Middle Ears, things could get very nasty.

The sinus floodings should only be done under the supervision of a medical professional.

You might want to thoroughly read thru my account of how I used the Sinus Floodings to cure my sinus infection misery, which is posted in the thread: Infrequent Sinus Flooding with Peroxide & Baking Soda halted my infection nightmare

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
yalie22 (12-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
(male)

yalie22 HB User
Re: Started Sinus Flooding last week. Have some questions.

Okay.. So you don't think this method kills off an infection at all? I'm actually in a pretty confused state at the moment because I've been having symptoms of a mild sinus infection for the last 4 months - Head aches, especially when I look up or down and also in the morning when I step out into the sun. A lot of fatigue, basically just keep crashing. Weakness and dizziness especially if I delay a meal. And many times I have difficulty breathing and have this surreal dissociative feeling because of that.

I know there's something wrong with me, but the doctors here (India) take it way too lightly and just send me back with some nasal sprays. I'm sure they would completely freak out if I told them about what I was trying, so I don't expect much help there.. I took antibiotics for 3 days in the middle and I felt much better, but same old story when I stopped. I tried regular yoga also jala neti, but nothing helped. The upside down flooding helped a LOT and I feel much better but still not 100%. So that's my story, now for the questions..

1] So, in case of mild infections why would it not be able to kill it? The bacteria would obviously not survive if they're flooded with peroxide, right?

2] Yellow stuff comes out every time I do it. I'm on my 5th flooding and still some yellow stuff is coming out. I differentiate the lighter yellow liquidy stuff as infection from the darker and more solid stuff which might just be dirt. Should I keep doing it till its clear?

3] It seems that more stuff comes out from clearing my throat after a flooding than clearing my nose. Does that by any chance mean that there might be an issue with my maxillary sinuses?

Do try and answer my questions if you can, I'm sure there is a lot to learn from experienced folks like you. I think I might be going for a CT scan to figure this out once and for all.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalie22 View Post
Okay.. So you don't think this method kills off an infection at all?
I don't really know. I am just guessing.

I had suffered so many sinus infections, over so many years, that I finally got so frustrated with the pain and misery that I recklessly tried to kill whatever was in my sinuses, by flooding my sinuses with peroxide. No one was more surprised than me when it worked. I had just finished a round of antibiotics, before I tried the sinus flooding. I could feel another sinus infection coming on, so I did sinus floodings instead of taking another round of antibiotics, and it worked. Did the sinus floodings with peroxide cure me of my sinus misery because I had just finished a round of antibiotics, or was the peroxide flooding instrumental in killing the infection? I don't know?

After about two years, without a sinus infection, I posted what had cured me of my misery so that others could know about it.

Quote:
I'm actually in a pretty confused state at the moment because I've been having symptoms of a mild sinus infection for the last 4 months - Head aches, especially when I look up or down and also in the morning when I step out into the sun. A lot of fatigue, basically just keep crashing. Weakness and dizziness especially if I delay a meal. And many times I have difficulty breathing and have this surreal dissociative feeling because of that.
Head aches, especially above the eyes, could indicate an infection, or allergic reaction, in the Frontal Sinuses.

Allergies and Sinus Infections have many of the same symptoms. In fact, allergic reactions in the sinuses can lead to an infection, which makes it more confusing.

Possible signs to me that it may be a sinus infection, and not just an allergic reaction, is if my sinuses just keep getting worse and worse and the soreness starts to spread and get more painful; and if there is blood in the discharge; and if the symptoms do not clear up after several days without exposure to the allergen(s) that caused the allergic reaction.

Quote:
I know there's something wrong with me, but the doctors here (India) take it way too lightly and just send me back with some nasal sprays. I'm sure they would completely freak out if I told them about what I was trying, so I don't expect much help there.. I took antibiotics for 3 days in the middle and I felt much better, but same old story when I stopped. I tried regular yoga also jala neti, but nothing helped. The upside down flooding helped a LOT and I feel much better but still not 100%.
Junk can build up in the sinuses over time, especially due to pollution and irritants, through normal breathing and become somewhat crusty, and then create cold-like symptoms, IMHO. I wonder if your problems could be related to "crud" and that the peroxide helped to loosen it and flush it out?

Quote:
So that's my story, now for the questions..

1] So, in case of mild infections why would it not be able to kill it? The bacteria would obviously not survive if they're flooded with peroxide, right?
Over the past ten years, or so, I've had feedback by quite a few people who thanked me for finding a way out of their misery. I've often wondered why the flooding worked so well for some and yet failed for others?

I would think that, under certain circumstances, with certain types of infections, peroxide might be able to kill the infection, but I really don't know.

Quote:
2] Yellow stuff comes out every time I do it. I'm on my 5th flooding and still some yellow stuff is coming out. I differentiate the lighter yellow liquidy stuff as infection from the darker and more solid stuff which might just be dirt. Should I keep doing it till its clear?
Not being a medical professional, I can't advise you. I can only say what I have experienced over my decades of allergy misery and sinus infection misery.

When I have a normal, allergic reaction, my sinus discharge may be yellowish or greenish, and not too thick. Before my sinus/nasal membranes were totally healed by the peroxide flooding, when my sinuses were totally plugged and ached and the discharge was yellow/green and thick, it usually led to an infection. The longer the infection, the more discoloration and gunk in the discharge.

My very first sinus floodings were bloody and gunky. Much blood. Each subsequent flooding resulted in less blood and less gunk. I kept up the floodings until the discharge was clear, and then went to a series of very infrequent sinus floodings once it became apparent that my sinuses/nasal membranes were healthy.

Quote:
It seems that more stuff comes out from clearing my throat after a flooding than clearing my nose. Does that by any chance mean that there might be an issue with my maxillary sinuses?
Your maxillary sinuses are behind your cheekbones. The openings to the maxillary are like an upside down V, which drain into the nasal passages. The most difficult sinus infections to treat are in the maxillary sinuses, IMHO.

However...... if some of the peroxide is draining down into the throat, which should not happen, then the mucus membranes in the throat might get irritated and cause mucus discharge there.

My next post is going to be a report of the actual, unchanged log of when I was first doing a sinus flooding and keeping records.

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 11-27-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

This log was taken right after I just got off ten days of Amoxicillin for a sinus infection. I thought that my sinus infection was fixed. My sinus infections start with pressure in one or both sinuses, which doesnít go away and then continues to get worse. Iíve had surgery in my right sinus, which has left scarring, so my right sinus gives me most of my problems with infections.

My log said: ===>
  • "Day 1: 9:10pm Sinus pressure, right side, DAMN! Right sinus closed. 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water/baking soda treatment tonight. 2 sinus floodings. 1st one very bloody. 10 parts water to 1 part peroxide. Added a 3rd sinus sinus flooding no foam, no blood"
  • "Day 2: 12:40pm, feel better. did a 4th sinus flooding. Added double pinch of baking soda."
  • "Day 2: nighttime: Damn. Right sinus closed ALL NIGHT!"
  • "Day 3: 9am. feel better. 1pm Did another 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water, with baking soda sinus flooding. Lots of foam. Sinuses more open after treatment. 4:53pm feel good all day. Did 2nd peroxide/baking soda sinus flooding. Foamed quite a bit. Did not blow nose for 8 minutes after sinus flooding. Seemed to help clean out gunk. Sinuses feel more open"
  • "Day 4: 7:53am. morning. Right sinus closed. 10:44am. did another peroxide/baking soda sinus flooding. 2:07pm. 2nd peroxide/baking soda sinus flooding, lots of foam, did 3rd peroxide/baking soda sinus flooding. Added pinch of salt. 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Lots of foam"
  • "Day 5: 6am. Sinus better in morning. more open. 7:31am Sinus VERY GOOD!!! Did another peroxide with two pinches of baking soda and added one pinch of salt. 1 part Peroxide to 20 parts water. Foamed but not as much. 3pm. Sinuses open today. 1st day open! nighttime-- sinus a bit stuffy again"
  • "Day 6: 7:52am. Sinus stuffy. No treatments today"
  • "Day 7: Sinus OK. 1pm another peroxide/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt, 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water, sinus flooding. 6:05pm - Sinuses feel GREAT!!!"
  • "Day 8: sinus little stuffy. No sinus floodings today."
  • "Day 9: no sinus floodings today"
  • "Day 10: sinus feels great. Did a sinus flooding, peroxide/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt. 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water. Foamed again. Sinus discharge really clean"
  • "Day 11: sinuses good."
  • "Day 12: no sinus floodings"
  • "Day 13: 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt - discharge is red. slight foam."
  • "Day 14-20 no sinus floodings"
  • "Day 21: 1 part peroxide to 20 parts water/one pinch baking soda/one pinch salt sinus flooding"
  • "Day 22-27 no sinus floodings"
  • "Day 28 Two peroxide sinus floodings, (1 part peroxide to 15 parts water)/baking soda/salt sinus floodings."
  • "next 87 days --- no sinus floodings."
  • "next day, sinus stuffy for 3rd day in a row. Slight Asthma. One peroxide/baking soda/salt sinus flooding."

I hope that you are able to find an appropriate and long-lasting solution to your sinus problems! Take care........

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The following user gives a hug of support to Machaon:
yalie22 (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
(male)

yalie22 HB User

Machaon, first of all, you are just awesome! I've never had such a detailed reply EVER on any forum! Wow..!

From all the things you've described I've been able to narrow down actually. I have allergic rhinitis, and while I thought that was under control, I now feel that that's probably what's giving me this trouble. And I may have had low grade infections because of that as well.. But for some reason the flooding has really helped even with this!

So basically after it worked for you the first time you've never really had an infection after that? As in have you used this method many times?

Thanks again Machaon, this means so much to me

Old 12-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
(male)

Sources HB User

Machaon, do you know if this helps with post nasal drip? Have you ever had post nasal drip?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yalie22 View Post
Machaon, first of all, you are just awesome! I've never had such a detailed reply EVER on any forum! Wow..!
It was my pleasure. It's exciting to get such positive feedback. Yesterday, I discussed your posts and sinus misery with my wife, during our one-hour power walk. It is awesome that two strangers, thousands of miles away, can have such a positive impact on each other's lives. The power of the Internet!

Quote:
From all the things you've described I've been able to narrow down actually. I have allergic rhinitis, and while I thought that was under control, I now feel that that's probably what's giving me this trouble. And I may have had low grade infections because of that as well.. But for some reason the flooding has really helped even with this!
How are you doing now? I hope that you have continued to see improvements. I feel that the peroxide flooding can loosen gunk, that would improve sinus irritation; and I feel that the peroxide flooding can help to contain sinus infection, or help to keep it from spreading, but I am not sure how much the peroxide flooding can effect an existing sinus infection. I am also fairly sure that the peroxide flooding cannot get into the maxillary sinuses. It might be able to access the frontal sinuses, above the eyes, or the ethmoid sinuses between the eyes. To me, the peroxide floodings are most effective within the nasal passages and not within the sinus cavities.

Quote:
So basically after it worked for you the first time you've never really had an infection after that? As in have you used this method many times?

Thanks again Machaon, this means so much to me
During the first few years, I did a total of about 50 sinus floodings. In the first few years, after my initial success, I really did not know if the sinus flooding with peroxide truly stopped my chronic sinus infection problem, or not. So...... when I would get a little stuffy and I felt that a cold might be coming on, I would do a sinus flooding or two. It was only after several years of not getting sinus infections, that I truly realized that I was basically cured of chronic sinus infections; and that I had found something that could really help others, who had suffered sinus infection misery, like I did.

In the past few years, I have perhaps done about 6 sinus floodings, total, and I cannot remember when I last did one.

Thanks, again, for your very nice feedback!

I hope that you are still doing OK. Please keep in touch!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 12-06-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sources View Post
Machaon, do you know if this helps with post nasal drip?
Sorry. I do not know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sources View Post
Have you ever had post nasal drip?
I have never had post nasal drip. I do get a phlegm buildup in my throat, which was caused by one of my SLIT experiment mistakes, but no post nasal drip.

I hope that you are able to find a solution!

⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
(female)

No Hope HB User

This is kind of long; but, hopefully will help you. I have used nasal saline irrigation for many years. It does not get rid of infections, it keeps them from starting. I had undiagnosed sinus problems in 1998 (had HMO which probably expains this after seeing 5 ENT's and being told nothing was wrong). Collapsed w/vertigo, head felt like bowling ball. Kept seeing specialists of all kinds trying to find out what was wrong. 2 yrs later nurse practicianer saved my life. Walked by me in waiting room of allergist, immediately sent me for x-ray, straight to cat scan, straight to emergency surgery. All sinus cavities impacted except for small one in front of brain. Mucus cyst started back within 6 wks of surgery in left cheek. Had major surgery again approx. 1 yr. later. The ENT told me about nasal saline irrigation. Said I would be having infections and surgery every year if I didn't do this. I have not had anymore surgeries and only 1 infection in the past 10 yrs. (I got lax on doing the irrigation because I hadn't had any major problems for so long. I only take a Claratin 12 hr. once a day. First 2 years got a bloody nose about every 2 months. ENT said the solution kept the cyst that kept forming in my left cheek soft so it would break and give me a bloody nose on that side. Have not had bloody nose for over 6 yrs. now.
I still have the pamplet w/instructions on doing this, way before nettle pots came around. The mixture is 1 Liter (quart) warm water-distilled preferred: 2-3 heaping teaspoonful canning, pickling or sea salt (table salt contains additives such as iodine, preservatives and sugar, should not be used); 1 teaspoon baking soda; stir well until salt dissolves. I make this up, container sits under my bathroom sink. I take 1 cup and microwave for 30 seconds to warm it. I use bulb syringe and flush at least 3 times a week because I am stabilized. Since I have chronic sinus issues I have to add Alkalol (a mucus solvent & cleaner available at most stores, over counter). At first was 50-50 solution, now 50-25. ie. 1 cup solution, 1/4 cup Alkalol which is added at time of usuage right before warming solution. Had to do 3-4 times a day for a month and gradually got to my current routine. Gets tiresome but just thinking about another surgery or infection gives me the push.
Procedure: Irrigate 2-3 times per day w/bulb syringe. Draw the warm saltwater into the syringe. Standing over sink place the tip of syringe into nose, squirt water straight towards the back of the head. Breathe the solution directly into the nose. (gagged me lots when first learning to do, still does sometimes). Allow solution to drain back out. If doing correctly you can taste the saltwater or you can spit it out. Head is not hanging down, keep pretty level while leaning over sink. Mine just goes thru nose, out mouth. I still gets lots of mucus but always clear color. Repeat several times before switching to other side.
Warm water is much more comfortable than cold. Amount of salt used depends on your tolerance. The more salt used the greater the decongestant effect. Baking soda acts as buffer making the salt less irritating. If using nasal steroid cleanse nose first before using spray. I can't use any type steroid nose spray, get blooding noses and hives.
This flushing cleans mucus, crusts & debris from nasal passage. It decongests the nose because the high salt concentration fluid is pulled out of the mucousal membrane, shrinking the membrane. It improves nasal drainage by improving ciliary beating so that normal mucus is transporting from the sinuses through the nose into the throat.
This has been a life saver for me. Good Luck

Closed Thread