Living with allergic fungal sinusitis
I found this board by looking for other people who may be living with allergic fungal sinusitis (AFS). I was diagnosed after having the worst sinus infection known to man, and a fully impacted sinus. I was living for years with horrible congestion and sometimes I would be completely clogged up and unable to breathe. Finally went to see an allergist and did extensive allerfy testing, and I have sinus surgery, turbinate reduction, and a septoplasty. It was the best decision I ever made, but now my sinus and nose dynamic has changed.
Before when I would be able to blow my nose and get a little stuff out, it was dark brown and the consistency of peanut butter. This is normal in AFS because it is the allergic mucin, and they actually call it brown "peanut butter" so this is the crap that would get stuck and build up in my sinus thus creating a complete impaction. Well now after surgery and since my ENT opened up a highway through my sinuses, this mucin now dislodges much easier and I am able to blow it out.
So I am just wondering if other people are living with constantly, I mean CONSTANTLY blowing their nose, and blowing chuncks of nastiness out of it? The stuff that comes out of my nose is crazy wiked. Sometimes the stuff that comes out is seriously the size of a golf ball. On top of this, I have odors most of the time in my nose from this mucin and can always smell the odor. I am highly allergic to dust mites so at night I get super congested and have to blow my nose many times throughout the night. A lot of times my stuffiness even makes it into my dreams.
I am getting better. I am currently doing allergy therapy with weekley shots, and I take a plethora of allergy meds everyday. During high allergy season then I have to do a round of Prednisone (which makes me insane by the way). I am taking Singulair, and Omnaris every night along with sinus rinses twice a day and using a saline nose spray several times throughout the day.