It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
(female)

LauraLatte HB User
Voice changes with endoscopic surgery

Hi all,

So glad I found this place! I am having endoscopic sinus surgery at the end of the week, which will include reducing and/or resecting my turbinates and an ethmoidectomy. I am starting to get extremely concerned that my voice might alter permanently. I don't know why I'm so focused on this particular side effect, but I am. I don't use my voice professionally, but, well, I do rather like it! I think it would be so weird to come out of surgery with a different voice. It seems logical that removing the little honeycomb bones of the ethmoid sinus would produce a difference in vocal quality.

Most reading material gives a very generic "may alter vocal resonance" warning, which is hard to understand.

I am going to speak to my surgeon about this soon, but I'd really appreciate hearing other folks' end-result vocal experience with these two procedures. How did you voice sound after you completely recovered from surgery? More nasal, less nasal, different to you only, or a remarkable difference?

Thank you!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
(male)

rsierra1025 HB User
Re: Voice changes with endoscopic surgery

I haven't noticed any changes after my go rounds under the knife. I've had 7 operations to date and I'm sure those were included in my surguries somewhere. I was a bit concerned early on because I work in Radio so I do use my voice but it's all been fine.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
(female)

daisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB User

I had sinus surgery nearly 5 weeks ago. I had no voice changes at all. Good luck with your procedure and keep us posted.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

marsbonfire29 HB User

Laura...

I assume that you've had your surgery by now and that you know whether or not you'll be experiencing voice changes. Since my three surgeries--including obliteration--I have experienced voice changes. They've taught me hard lessons about vanity and whether or not it's better to see a sunrise. They've also taught me that just as life comes, death will come and that we're all very fragile. Be happy in whatever circumstances you currently find yourself in. Almost nine months after surgery I feel like I'm still trying to recover. And that's OK. I'm not in a ward drooling on myself and a nurse doesn't have to assist me to go to the bathroom. I'm a sixty-year old Math Major with a 4.0 GPA. Hell, I'm rich! Wish you the very best! Peace..

Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

I have had this surgery. Strangely enough my voice has improved. I'm no longer nasal sounding. I can sing more clearly and belt it out better (in the shower and car of course). Even my close friends and mom commented on it. Although, they said it just a very small change. I also had a deviated septum corrected at the same time. Even if it does change your voice a little, IMO it's better to be healthy.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

marsbonfire29 HB User

Pastafarian...

Get on with your bad self! We all probably respond differently and it "sounds" as if you had a happy ending. What more can we hope for? I was OK thru the endoscopic surgery but the sinus obliteration put the hurt on me. I look at other people differently now that I made it thru that.The very best of luck to you!

Closed Thread