It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

futuremrs HB User
Sinus Problems/Dizziness That is Driving Me Insane!

Hi!

Im new to this so I will explain a little bit of what I have been dealing with.

The dizziness started JULY 2010 out of nowhere - and has been with me ever since and driving me crazy everyday. From the summer of 2010 until winter, I was a dizzy mess and taking claritin D everyday. It completely dissapeared until the Spring 2011, this time a lot worse. I just kept taking the Claritin D but was starting to lose its potency so I went to see an ENT and he gave me Flonase to take everyday along with the Claritin D. Around June that summer I got a really bad cold that lasted two weeks long, where I had a ton of thick yellow mucus draining out of my nose. This happened right before I went on vacation and I was worried so I went back to my ENT and talked to a NP, and she thought it might have been a sinus infection so she gave me Avelox ( a very strong antibiotic ) to try out and see if it got rid of my issues. My dad'ds cousin is a Dr. and has followed me through all this and said I shouldnt mess with that strong of an antibiotic if the doctor wasnt sure if I really had a sinus infection or not so I didnt take it; just continued with my Flonase and Claritin regimen and it went away after 12 days.

Every month thereafter, I have had a cold once a month and the dizziness has gotten progressively worse.When I get a cold, the dizziness and pressure on my head and face is so bad that I end up laying down all day and I am very fatigued. The dizziness is best described as what it feels like being on an elevator, or falling forward.

I went to an allergist and found out Im allergic to pollen, ragweed, dust mites and mold. I had an MRI done, it was normal, saw two more ENTS who told me it could be due to TMJ and offered no help. My primary care doctor ran every blood test in the book and everything has come back normal.

I recently saw another ENT and he did a bunch of diagnostic testing for different causes of dizziness and ear issues/vertigo and nothing came out abnormal. He did stick a flexible tube down my nose and said I was pretty congested and that my larynx looked a little pale, which could be from acid reflux. He told me to keep up with the Flonase if it helped and to take an antihistamine. So far, I have tried Mucinex DM and now I am currently taking Allegra. The dizziness and headaches also instensify around my period, so I was put on a low dose birth control pill to see if that will help any, but it will take about three months to notice any changes.

I just came down with a cold on Sunday - swollen glands, stuffy nose the whole ordeal, and as of today my glands arent swollen but I am left with horrible dizziness and I cannot get anything to drain out of my nose no matter how hard I blow my nose.

So I am compleletly out of ideas, and I have to call my doctor again this week. Its really frustrating as I am getting married this June and graduating in May, and it has taken a toll on me and my family. Does anyone have any suggestions or have the similar problems that can offer some advice?

I would greatly appreciate it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
(female)

daisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB Userdaisymae55 HB User
Re: Sinus Problems/Dizziness That is Driving Me Insane!

I get a little dizzy when I blow my nose too much but it's a fleeting thing. I wonder if trying to blow too much causes a sort of hyperventilation and thus dizziness. Just a guess.

I also have a tendency to try to blow my nose when I am congested. Congestion can be caused by inflammation & swelling but not necessarily mucus -- thus there is nothing to blow out. I believe allergies can be a culprit here. You mention visiting an allergist. Are you still seeing him/her about your symptoms?

I'm glad you have been cleared of some of the most obvious causes of dizziness (ie vertigo). Dizziness is also prevalent with anxiety & panic attacks of course. If I am overly anxious (and dizzy), slow deep breaths do the trick.

I hope you can find some relief from your symptoms. It can be tough to tease out the cause of sinus problems. I'm sure stress of a wedding & graduation can also take a toll -- as stress weakens our immune system & makes us more vulnerable to colds & such.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
(male)

Daleb14 HB User
Re: Sinus Problems/Dizziness That is Driving Me Insane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremrs View Post
Hi!

Im new to this so I will explain a little bit of what I have been dealing with.

The dizziness started JULY 2010 out of nowhere - and has been with me ever since and driving me crazy everyday. From the summer of 2010 until winter, I was a dizzy mess and taking claritin D everyday. It completely dissapeared until the Spring 2011, this time a lot worse. I just kept taking the Claritin D but was starting to lose its potency so I went to see an ENT and he gave me Flonase to take everyday along with the Claritin D. Around June that summer I got a really bad cold that lasted two weeks long, where I had a ton of thick yellow mucus draining out of my nose. This happened right before I went on vacation and I was worried so I went back to my ENT and talked to a NP, and she thought it might have been a sinus infection so she gave me Avelox ( a very strong antibiotic ) to try out and see if it got rid of my issues. My dad'ds cousin is a Dr. and has followed me through all this and said I shouldnt mess with that strong of an antibiotic if the doctor wasnt sure if I really had a sinus infection or not so I didnt take it; just continued with my Flonase and Claritin regimen and it went away after 12 days.

Every month thereafter, I have had a cold once a month and the dizziness has gotten progressively worse.When I get a cold, the dizziness and pressure on my head and face is so bad that I end up laying down all day and I am very fatigued. The dizziness is best described as what it feels like being on an elevator, or falling forward.

I went to an allergist and found out Im allergic to pollen, ragweed, dust mites and mold. I had an MRI done, it was normal, saw two more ENTS who told me it could be due to TMJ and offered no help. My primary care doctor ran every blood test in the book and everything has come back normal.

I recently saw another ENT and he did a bunch of diagnostic testing for different causes of dizziness and ear issues/vertigo and nothing came out abnormal. He did stick a flexible tube down my nose and said I was pretty congested and that my larynx looked a little pale, which could be from acid reflux. He told me to keep up with the Flonase if it helped and to take an antihistamine. So far, I have tried Mucinex DM and now I am currently taking Allegra. The dizziness and headaches also instensify around my period, so I was put on a low dose birth control pill to see if that will help any, but it will take about three months to notice any changes.

I just came down with a cold on Sunday - swollen glands, stuffy nose the whole ordeal, and as of today my glands arent swollen but I am left with horrible dizziness and I cannot get anything to drain out of my nose no matter how hard I blow my nose.

So I am compleletly out of ideas, and I have to call my doctor again this week. Its really frustrating as I am getting married this June and graduating in May, and it has taken a toll on me and my family. Does anyone have any suggestions or have the similar problems that can offer some advice?

I would greatly appreciate it!
Hi. Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem. Sounds very similar to what I'm going through?

Reply Reply