It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
(male)

ccoale427 HB User
Sinusitis and difficulty breathing

Hi everyone,

I have a very frustrating situation; perhaps others have had the same experience, so I am asking here. My apologies for the length of the story, but I'm not sure what information would be helpful. I placed the important details in bold so that you do not have to read -everything-. Thanks in advance.

About a month ago, I had an abscessed tooth that was causing an extreme amount of pain -- a shooting pain all the way up my nose. I couldn't sleep, and about a week into the pain, my head became extremely congested. I couldn't breathe through my nose. About a week into it, I started having trouble breathing at all -- I felt like I had to really make an effort to take a breath, and soon it turned into not being able to take a deep breath at all. It's like my lungs just won't let in anymore air even though I still feel like I need air. I can sometimes get a satisfying deep breath every 5 minutes or so, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer. Finally I went to the dentist and they gave me a root canal (the tooth pain was absolutely unbearable.. I had to receive 3 shots of anesthetic and also take 800mg of Ibuprofen while at the dentist). Well after that day, my tooth felt perfect. But my head was still congested and I still couldn't breathe.

I went to the doctor and they performed a head and chest x-ray. The head x-ray came back positive for sinusitis (four of my sinus lobes were inflamed) but my chest x-ray came back negative for any abnormality with my heart, pluera, and lungs. For the sinusitis, my doctor gave me an antibiotic injection, steroid injection, a 10-day supply of Levoquin antibiotic (525MG), and also a week supply of Prednisone (30mg for 3 days, then 4 days of tapering). All of that cleared up my sinuses about 70%, but they are still messed up and I still can't breathe. When I have an episode where I -really- struggle to breathe, I get pretty light headed and dizzy, my lips, nose, chin, and arms tingle (my left arm is the very first to get tingly and sometimes it is the only limb that gets tingly). I told my doctor about this and he said nothing, and I am really unsure of whether or not it is ER-worthy. My heart rate hasn't ever been greater than 100bpm, and my blood pressure has been staying consistently low (before the antibiotics it was 100/70, now it's 110/80).

Just recently (past 2 weeks), I've been having general chest discomfort and an aching pain on the left side above my breast (but below my shoulder), especially when I take a deep breath (it turns into a sharp pain). I told my doctor, and that worried him so he did an EKG which came back 100% normal. He also had me do a blow test (which came back normal apparently but he said I may have a tiny -- he emphasized the word tiny -- bit of asthma). He has not given me a blood test, even after I asked about that. I was prescribed an inhaler to be taken as need (every 4 to 6 hours) but was not formally diagnosed as having asthma.

I did have a cholesterol test about a year and a half ago, and everything was good except my Trig levels -- those were in the "High" range at 250. I asked my doctor if that could be part of the issue, and he said no.

So that is where I am currently at. Another doctor told me that with my sinuses being inflamed, it is possible that my lungs aren't able to fully expand, but that doesn't sound entirely right with how I am feeling. It also doesn't explain the pain in my left chest.

So my question for you guys is this: has anyone had similar problems? Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Any questions that I should ask my doctor next time to get some more tests done?

Thank you very very much in advance for any advice you can offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
(male)

bel401 HB User
Re: Sinusitis and difficulty breathing

hello ccoale427, im with you on this one. I am having similar symptoms, my head is congested all day for about a week now get pains through-out my head all day long. My ears are clogged so i get constant dizzyness. My nose is what bothers me the worse though, it seems no matter what i take, or do to try to help get my nose back to normal just doesnt work. So its extremely hard to breathe through my nose. And my eyes have felt swollen due to this. I havent been tested for sinusitus but im pretty sure thats what it is. Ive had some tooth pain over the past 2 days but only last about a min and goes away, and this has only occured twice. My ears also have ringing, and pain. Ive tried sinus rinses, but im so clogged up that my head feels waterlogged after using it. I am having trouble taking deep breathes and just getting air when doing it, but i am also burping constant without eating or drinking the burps are still there. So i got a gastro appointment so we will see what he says. I also have pneumonia which could be causing all of this! its a pain i hate it. for about a month now ive been feeling flue like sick, hard to breathe, sinus pressure, im just ready to get back to normal, my heart rate is 120bm which my doctor said was normal for pneumonia (walking) which on a scale is 150/100 50 OVER what walking pneumonia should be at so. yeah this month has been the worst of my life ive never been this sick. Well i hope you get your situation cleared and get healthy and can live a normal life again take care man.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, you might have developed an allergy to something around you. Skin testing at an allergist is the best way to find out for sure.

Does the inhaler help with the difficulty breathing? If it's asthma, the benefit should be immediate and dramatic.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
(female)

lmckeon2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoale427 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a very frustrating situation; perhaps others have had the same experience, so I am asking here. My apologies for the length of the story, but I'm not sure what information would be helpful. I placed the important details in bold so that you do not have to read -everything-. Thanks in advance.

About a month ago, I had an abscessed tooth that was causing an extreme amount of pain -- a shooting pain all the way up my nose. I couldn't sleep, and about a week into the pain, my head became extremely congested. I couldn't breathe through my nose. About a week into it, I started having trouble breathing at all -- I felt like I had to really make an effort to take a breath, and soon it turned into not being able to take a deep breath at all. It's like my lungs just won't let in anymore air even though I still feel like I need air. I can sometimes get a satisfying deep breath every 5 minutes or so, sometimes shorter and sometimes longer. Finally I went to the dentist and they gave me a root canal (the tooth pain was absolutely unbearable.. I had to receive 3 shots of anesthetic and also take 800mg of Ibuprofen while at the dentist). Well after that day, my tooth felt perfect. But my head was still congested and I still couldn't breathe.

I went to the doctor and they performed a head and chest x-ray. The head x-ray came back positive for sinusitis (four of my sinus lobes were inflamed) but my chest x-ray came back negative for any abnormality with my heart, pluera, and lungs. For the sinusitis, my doctor gave me an antibiotic injection, steroid injection, a 10-day supply of Levoquin antibiotic (525MG), and also a week supply of Prednisone (30mg for 3 days, then 4 days of tapering). All of that cleared up my sinuses about 70%, but they are still messed up and I still can't breathe. When I have an episode where I -really- struggle to breathe, I get pretty light headed and dizzy, my lips, nose, chin, and arms tingle (my left arm is the very first to get tingly and sometimes it is the only limb that gets tingly). I told my doctor about this and he said nothing, and I am really unsure of whether or not it is ER-worthy. My heart rate hasn't ever been greater than 100bpm, and my blood pressure has been staying consistently low (before the antibiotics it was 100/70, now it's 110/80).

Just recently (past 2 weeks), I've been having general chest discomfort and an aching pain on the left side above my breast (but below my shoulder), especially when I take a deep breath (it turns into a sharp pain). I told my doctor, and that worried him so he did an EKG which came back 100% normal. He also had me do a blow test (which came back normal apparently but he said I may have a tiny -- he emphasized the word tiny -- bit of asthma). He has not given me a blood test, even after I asked about that. I was prescribed an inhaler to be taken as need (every 4 to 6 hours) but was not formally diagnosed as having asthma.

I did have a cholesterol test about a year and a half ago, and everything was good except my Trig levels -- those were in the "High" range at 250. I asked my doctor if that could be part of the issue, and he said no.

So that is where I am currently at. Another doctor told me that with my sinuses being inflamed, it is possible that my lungs aren't able to fully expand, but that doesn't sound entirely right with how I am feeling. It also doesn't explain the pain in my left chest.

So my question for you guys is this: has anyone had similar problems? Does anyone have any idea what could be going on? Any questions that I should ask my doctor next time to get some more tests done?

Thank you very very much in advance for any advice you can offer.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

Hey man, I had the SAME EXACT issues that you're describing. It's a very lonely and sad place, where you have nasal sinus issues, but where you have problems breathing, and when you tell this to the doctor (ENT doctor) they just say, "Oh well, breathing is something completely different from what's happening in your nose/sinuses. That has nothing to do with me." I can tell you from experience that sometimes it does. Oh and by the way, your chest pains are without a doubt related to your breathing (had the same thing).

First of all, get yourself a supply of the following. Pseudoephedrine 30 mg, Claritin D 12 hours (you can also try the 24 hour if you like) and plain old Claritin (i.e. Loratidine). If you're having not so severe issues, try out a 30 mg, but if you're having severe issues, go ahead and take a Claritin D 12 hour (this was a good "emergency drug" when I needed it most). Try a 10 mg claritin here and there, also.

I've had the same issues you describe for quite a while, but they have gotten better later on in life. I'm not sure if it's the case for you, but FOR ME, I find that an enclosed space with lack of air movement sometimes causes this. If I can turn on the air conditioning, get fan air circulation, or open a window or go outside to some cool, fresh air, it HELPS IMMENSELY.

Hope you feel better!! You're not alone.

Last edited by Leo255; 03-18-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
asthma, breathing, lungs, sinusitis