It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

jzspin HB User
Could saline rinsing be making it worse?

About 3 years ago I had a bad virus. In the days following this, I developed a really bad bacterial sinus infection which lasted for nearly 6 weeks, caused me to lose my voice for about 3 or 4 of those weeks, and was the most horrible throat pain (because of the mucus drainage) I'd ever had. I finally went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics and after starting them, finally started to feel better after a few days and thought I'd recovered.

But it seems things never fully returned to normal. I've had on and off sinus issues ever since that bad infection. This past year has been even worse. My ears constantly pop and feel plugged up. It feels as though there is always fluid inside them. Especially the left one. I have lots of dull, aching pain in my face and head. Sometimes stabbing pains that last for fairly short periods. Recently I've had a lot of sharp pain in the back of the right side of my head. The thing which has me quite concerned is the mucus and breathing trouble through my right nostril. I am never able to breath properly through that one when I press the other shut. It's like there is some sort of swelling of the nasal passageway. Every single day throughout the day, I slowly build mucus back in that area (behind the right nostril). Eventually it starts to hurt the back right side of my throat and I usually wind up using the nasal sprayer to clear it out. I always get this rather large, very thick hunk of mucus that comes out and immediately after this, my throat feels better. Sometimes there is even a bit of blood in the mucus.

Something that seems it's been slowly developing are issues with my vision and my eyes. Especially on the right side. My right eye seems to feel numb and weak...I don't know how to describe it very well. During the last couple of weeks, I've noticed a sudden change in my vision. My eyes are very sensitive to light, I'm constantly seeing streaks and spots and grey areas in my field of vision and the strangest part is that my peripheral vision seems as though it's suddenly become overly aware--I am now constantly seeing my nose in my field of vision (kind of like when you purposefully cross your eyes). If I look down slightly, I can see the tops of my cheeks. If I look up slightly, I can see my eyebrows. It's so annoying and making it difficult to function at work and it's incredibly hard in social situations because I can't see people properly.

I rinse just about every day with the saline rinse which is mainly to get that mucus build up to come out, but I'm wondering if it's making things worse overall. It almost feels like it pushes things further up into my head and my ears always pop and feel worse and more full afterwards. The face and head aches and pains also get worse immediately after rinsing. I'd go to the doctor, but don't have health insurance right now, so I really don't know what to do. I have not tried any over-the-counter decongestants though. Maybe I should? Has anyone ever had issues like these? Especially the vision issues? It's all starting to scare me a lot and I can't even go to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
(male)

rsierra1025 HB User
Re: Could saline rinsing be making it worse?

Hey JZspin. My experience that may be similar to yours has to do with the time of the day that I rinse. A lot of the time if I rinsed my sinuses just before bed time I would have symptoms similar to what you mention. Something I found to be helpful is rinse at least an hour before bed time to give the rinse a chance to move around and come out before it gets trapped in your sinuses for the night.

Some Dr.s are recommending using distilled water instead of stuff from the tap. Apparently there have been a few people that have died recently because of something in the water that has been caught in the rinse. Hard telling whats coming through the pipes into your home. With that said I still use tap water but it has been recommended to boil first.

Also, if you aren't using affrin at all maybe give that a shot in the evening to open up your sinuses while you sleep. Remember that you shouldn't use it for more than 3 - 5 days. It's worth a try.

Best wishes and hope you get it to straighten out.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Closed Thread