Acute/chronic sinusitis and anxiety???
Hello. I desperately need somebody to put my mind at ease.
Around March, I was on my college campus and suddenly got an extremely bad pain in my head. It almost felt like a knife jamming in towards the back and on my right side. As well, I got a sudden burst of fear, since I have never gotten such a pain before. The pain and fear didn't go away as I was hoping. On the third day after this occurred, I got a really terrible panic attack on my way home. My entire body went numb, I couldn't bend my fingers, hyperventilation, a terrible fear and need to get away, the whole thing. I had never had anything like this before. Out of fear of having a heart attack or something, I went to the hospital. They did a CT scan and diagnosed me with acute sinusitis. As for the panic attack, ever since I have gotten sinusitis, I have had really terrible anxiety. Since then, between classes, I've gone to numerous doctors, had another full-blown panic attack and a few close ones, and have gone to the hospital once. It's fairly obvious I have a problem with my anxiety, but it looks like my acute sinusitis has turned into sub-acute, or perhaps chronic. I have seen a cardiologist who said there is nothing wrong with my heart, have seen my physician who has tested me for several things including measles, and have seen two ENT's. I have had a CT scan on my head and a CT scan on my sinuses alone. They all seem to agree I have sinusitis. However, I am extremely worried. I have taken numerous antibiotics and have taken steroids at the same time. None seemed to work and now I have an FESS and septoplasty (for my deviated septum) scheduled in 2 weeks. Is this going to work? How many have gotten this done? I'm also afraid this may be worse than sinusitis and anxiety. I have odd symptoms and I feel like my sinusitis is worse than what I am reading online. As well, I am extremely afraid of getting meningitis, although I know it is rare. What are the chances of my getting this? Here are my symptoms:
- Terrible headaches and pains that seem to move from one side of my forehead to the other, behind my eyes, behind my ears (one side to other), on top of my head, behind my head, inside the bridge of my nose, and in my cheeks. Some of these headaches mainly feel like bad pressure in my head.
- Nasal congestion.
- Moments of feeling extremely light-headed. A sort of feeling I can't explain too well, but of feeling empty of feeling, slightly dizzy, like I'm flying. And during these moments, I can't think too well and it feels as if I'm very slow to process. I can speak fine, but when I attempt to "speak" in my head, it's slow and difficult. I'm often thinking about something, then forget it almost instantly. I have to think hard to remember it again. This is not always, just some moments.
- Some throat pain and pain in the back and sides of my neck.
- Stiff neck in the morning and certain days, but not always.
- Feeling afraid. Always anxious like something is going to happen to me or like I will get meningitis at any moment.
- My temperature is continuously heightened by one degree. While I went to class, my temperature could go as high as 102 degrees (and that's with tylenol).
- When I'd go out, I feel as if I am going to faint. I feel very bad in temperatures that are too hot or too cold. I feel terrible when the sun hits my head.
- Random pains in my joints that I never would get before.
- Terrible chest pain sometimes. Although doctors have checked my heart and lungs and said everything seems fine.
- Pain in my stomach and up my esophagus. As well as a burning in my chest.
- As mentioned, I had several panic attacks.
- Difficulty breathing sometimes. I keep having to remind myself to take deep breaths.
- I have several small allergies which I did not know I had until they found I also had sinusitis.
- My head continuously feels hot inside.
As mentioned, I have taken numerous prescribed antibiotics and I have taken steroids to open up my sinuses. I have also taken nasal decongestants. I've also taken medication to calm my upset stomach, a short week of xanax, numerous tylenol and motrin, and some zyrtec for the allergies. What I am most afraid of right now is that this will turn into meningitis, or that this may even be cancer. I know it is rare and unlikely, but I continuously have anxiety and I can't help but think about it. I'm so afraid of dying or something. It's driving me insane. Could this upcoming surgery help? Has anyone had this surgery before? And, most of all, has anyone had these symptoms that I described? Like with both sinusitis and anxiety? Thank you so much!