It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

setyabacksetya HB User
Water trapped in sinuses after Neilmed Sinus Rinse. Also mucous dripping down throat

I've been battling a little bit of a cold, mixed with allergies, and its been causing some thick stuff to be constantly dripping down the back of my throat. (Thats how the ENT described it. "Oh, you've got some real thick stuff dripping down your throat!")
I'm a singer, and the mucus is clogging up my vocal fold, which is causing problems with my singing voice.

I was instructed by my ENT to use a Neilmed Sinus Rinse once a day, followed by a spray of Nasonex in each nostril. That's all well and good, except when I use the Sinus Rinse, water always gets trapped up in my sinuses. When I shake my head I can hear the water sloshing around in my face, and it drips out my nose if I shake aggressively enough.

Is this normal? The Sinus rinse does clear out mucous, I can see it come out when I use it, but its a real annoyance to have water stuck in my face for an hour or so after I use the rinse.

Any help would be much appreciated, and any advice on how to make this thick stuff go away would be great. Just need to beat this mucous drip so my voice can get back to normal.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Water trapped in sinuses after Neilmed Sinus Rinse. Also mucous dripping down th

Did the ENT discuss with you the possible causes of your sinus/throat problems?

When I hear of problems like yours, I think of allergies, infection or a cold. If the ENT say no signs of infection and if you don't have symptoms of a cold, then you might have to consider allergies.

If allergies, then you might want to try and lessen your allergies through allergy tests and then allergy shots, aka: SCIT (Subcutaneous Immunotherapy); or allergy drops you can do at home, aka: SLIT ( Sublingual Immunotherapy).

Also, you might consider finding if certain foods cause your sinus misery and avoid those foods.

I found out that I was allergic to milk products. When I stopped consuming milk products my allergies and my health improved quite a bit. I also had to avoid many other food items, but that is another story.

I don't know much about your Sinus Rinse, except to caution you to avoid getting water trapped in your Eustachian Tubes located near the back of your throat. If you get water in your Eustachian Tubes during the Sinus Rinse, it could give you a world of hurt!

Best of luck getting your sinus and throat problems under control; and your singing career back into high gear!

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
setyabacksetya (06-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Water trapped in sinuses after Neilmed Sinus Rinse. Also mucous dripping down th

It's pretty common to have a small amount of water get trapped in your sinuses after using a NeilMed Sinus Rinse bottle.

You might consider trying Mucinex (which is available without a prescription) and drinking lots of water to start thinning out the mucus draining down the back of your throat.

Machaon is correct that getting to the root cause of the issue - whether it be allergies or acid reflux - is your best long-term bet for getting things under control. Have you seen an allergist?

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
setyabacksetya (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
(male)

setyabacksetya HB User

I'm seeing an allergist on Monday actually. I'm going to stop using the NeilMed for the time being just because of how uncomfortable it is - even an hour or so after using it, if I tilt my head the wrong way water rushes out of my nose...Not so fun!
Thanks for the replies you guys, much appreciated.

Closed Thread