It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Patthedog HB User
To have surgery or not?

I am scheduled for sinus surgery soon and not even sure what is going to happen, was just told ent going in to widen things. I have had sinusitis/fungal sinus for the last 6 months and I have a hypertrophic turbinate. When the left side swells up, I can feel it, it goes down my throat and I feel like my breathing is obstructed. Not sure what that is about, that hasn't been addressed, I can never get an answer. I wake up because my eyes sting and have a hard time opening my eyes after sleeping due to stinging. I feel pressure behind my eyes a lot. I read about empty nose syndrome, which scares me, not sure if this is something I need to concern myself with though. I was on oral steroids, antibiotics for a long time, still using 2 types of nasal sprays. ENT suspects fungal allergy, but no anti fungal offered. Will having surgery help or set me up for a lifetime of headaches, infections and pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: To have surgery or not?

Surgery won't set you up for a lifetime of "headaches, infection and pain" but I would strongly encourage you NOT to have surgery until you have exhausted all of the non-surgical options and know EXACTLY what the doctor is planning to do and why.

Surgery by itself rarely works because it doesn't address the underlying cause of your problems (unless they are purely anatomical). The most likely underlying cause of your symptoms is allergies so you should be tested by an allergist to see if they can isolate what you're allergic to and help you get the allergies under control.

Hopefully your doctor has done a CT scan and is planning to use image guided techniques to remove only the tissue that is obstructing the drainage, but you should know that before the surgery. You should also ask about post-surgery follow up because it can be as important to a good long-term outcome as the surgery itself. Your doctor should schedule several follow up appointments to remove "crusts" and minimize scar tissue. If that's not part of the plan, please get a second opinion!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Re: To have surgery or not?

I had surgery to remove chronic sinus infection, but only after several months of liquid antibiotic irrigation and saline spray 4x a day. The surgery has drastically improved my symptoms, but after several more recurring sinus infections, the docs discovered a major reason I'm having the sinus infections is due to "silent reflux" (LPR) at night. The refluxed liquid sits in my sinuses during the night and causes infections. I'm still in the process of resolving it, but I sit at an incline to sleep now. I don't get monthly sinus infections anymore. Good luck.

Closed Thread