It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
sinus surgery

I had sinus surgery two days ago and also reconstruction of collapsed nostrils. The surgeon said I had pus and fungus and was sending it out to be biopsied. I had not heard of sinus fungas and am totally grossed out.
I had been getting left sided-headaches and nasal pain. I had been on antibiotics quite a few times. I usually felt better if I stood of hot steam for about 20 minutes and it resolved itself or so I thought.
I also have been having severe GERD and was told the constant post-nasal drip down my throat could increase the symptoms
After a ct scan indicated a severe infection that 3 weeks of strong antibiotics didn't cure I underwent the surgery.
As of right now I am not a happy camper. Has anyone else had such an infection? yuck?

Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: sinus surgery

Fungal infections of the sinuses are fairly common so there's nothing to be grossed out about. Based on a couple of studies done in the 90s, around 90% of people with sinus issues have fungus present, but the immune reaction to the fungus varies dramatically and, in some cases, triggers significant inflammation.

Hopefully you doctor will get you on a protocol to deal with the fungal infection and prevent it from recurring?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
(male)

harry653 HB User

Do not worry take doctor advice it may happen to some ,take antibiotic as given it will take time.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-20-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User
Wink Re: sinus surgery

Yep sadly fungal infections happen all the time and good thing you went to the doctor about it before it became out of control. As boring as it may sound to take a doctors advice, the doctor knows what he is talking about. It will all be over in no time so, hang in there...

Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

thank you for your responses. I must have been dealing with this for years. I still feel yucky like I have a sinus infection and still have a little fever. Usually I bounce back after surgery but not this time. The surgeon did a lot of reconstruction and cartlidge grafting to widen my nostrils. Right now I look like Miss Piggy.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User
Wink Re: sinus surgery

Oh man don’t speak like that, you probably still look as beautiful as ever and scars are not forever if you keep a positive mind. It will all be over soon! The surgery is was benefit to you, now the last thing you have to worry about is forever having a stuffed nose. You can breathe freely now. Like I said before it is better to focus on the positive out come because it is the way forward… the way to go.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi I just got home from the surgeon's office. Having the plastic frame and stitches removed was not fun but yes, I can now breathe through my nose.
I had not only fungus but mold. It had been there for so long it had calcified into a big rock. How yucky is that? No wonder I had sinus pain. So now just have to hope the grafting works and doesn't come through my very thin skin. Glad today is over!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Coming up on a week since the surgery. I am using the nettie pot twice a day per the surgeon's orders. I go back to see her next Friday. My sinuses feel very clogged up at times but I did read it can take a few months. I actually do have the cheek pain right now. I was told the fungus I had was from dirt and was asked if I do a lot of gardening. I did but I would tend to think it would be years of riding horses in dusty conditions. The mold, well, I don't know about that, other than mold likes dark and damp places. She said it had been there for years as it was like a calcified rock. I haven't felt good in years and sure hope this was a contributing factor.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User

Mel, it is going to take time, patience and courage to totally heal. All you have to do is face all the challenges as they come. Listen to what your doctor has to say and offer. You will be all healed in no time at all if you do so. Good luck with next Friday and do keep us posted about what happens next.

Closed Thread