It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

MFast HB User
Sinus surgery

My adult son had sinus surgery a little over a week ago, and still has quite a bit of pain behind his nose and in his ears. Does that sound right? He had so many different symptoms and was wondering how common they were. He had such light sensitivity that he always wears sunglasses - even indoors, ear pain, constant head aches and the worse thing was dizziness to the point of always feeling the need to lay down. Has anyone been diagnosed with candida which can cause sinus problems also? My son also can't taste or smell anything right now - is that normal?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Re: Sinus surgery

After sinus surgery, I had trouble tasting (and smelling obviously). The was a fair amount of pain and tenderness for a couple of weeks. I didn't have feeling in my two front teeth for about a month; that gradually returned. Headaches/migraines are so commonly tied in with sinus pain. That doesn't sound too bad to me, considering the fact that the doc just roughed his sinuses up pretty bad. The follow up cleanings are pretty painful. I definitely took a couple Vicodin before that. I hope he feels better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Could you be more specific as to the procedures he had?

A little pain, mild headaches aren't unusual for a week to ten days after surgery because of the swelling from the surgery (which can also account for the lost sense of smell/taste).

Hopefully his doctor prescribed saline irrigation starting 2-3 days after surgery and has scheduled several follow up appointments to remove crusts (scabs) and dried mucus (assuming he didn't have rhinoplasty). If his surgeon didn't recommend those things you have reason to be concerned because they are critical to the long-term effectiveness of the surgery (you should discuss his follow up with the surgeon if he didn't recommend d those things).

His initial symptoms are pretty common as well. Sinus inflammation can cause ear pressure and pain, light sensitivity, headaches and dizziness because all of those "systems" are so closely linked in a small area and it doesn't take much inflammation to cause symptoms.

The candida connection to sinusitis is somewhat controversial (given the fact that some people see candida as being the source of just about any type of physical ailment). What's not controversial is the fact that allergies - to candida and many other things - can be a primary cause of sinus inflammation and chronic sinusitis, which could certainly explain your son's symptoms. Has he had allergy tests to confirm what else he might be allergic to?

Last edited by gcsjr; 06-24-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

I agree with both of the previous replies. I have had the surgery and it was only partially helpful. My ENT doc did help me understand that an underlying part of my condition is systemic inflammation, i.e., I have irritiable bowels (IBS), irritable skin (psoriasis), irritable lungs, and irritable sinuses. The follow-up treatments, saline/med flushing at home, etc. are very important and helpful.

I would completely disregard the candida idea unless 1) he has had long-term antibiotic use, or 2) absolutely nothing else fits. I have also had candida issues in the past and regular probiotics works. But the marketers of candida-related products/protocols have been successful to the point of absurdity. There is no symptom for which they will not assign candida as a cause and their products as a solution. Candida is certainly not the issue unless he is having broader systemic issues. imo & fwiw

Last edited by Rich775; 06-24-2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: clarification

Closed Thread