It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User
Teeth pain after sinus surgery

Hello,
I had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery 4 days ago. I know that it will take a little time to recover, but my biggest complaint is that my front teeth are very painful. It feels like have something stuck between my teeth causing sever pressure, and my gums are numb. Kind of feels like after leaving the dentist when you have to have a filling. Has anyone experienced this? I asked the doctor about it when I had the packing removed and was only told "well, that happens sometimes and may take a few months before it goes away." Does anyone know what caused it and will it really take months to go away? It is very painful......

Thanks for any information anyone can give me on this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Teeth pain after sinus surgery

It can take awhile to go away, but it is not something to be alarmed about unless OTC pain meds don't take care of it, in which case you need to tell the doc that.

Often all the upper teeth can feel painful. It is because the nerves from the teeth extend right up to the sinus cavities. So any inflammation in the sinuses can cause tooth pain and/or general discomfort. My dentist explained this to me and a year after sinus surgery I can always tell when there is sinus inflammation because I feel it more in my teeth than my sinuses.

M.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich775 For This Useful Post:
SMCLEAN (07-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichards1957 View Post
It can take awhile to go away, but it is not something to be alarmed about unless OTC pain meds don't take care of it, in which case you need to tell the doc that.

Often all the upper teeth can feel painful. It is because the nerves from the teeth extend right up to the sinus cavities. So any inflammation in the sinuses can cause tooth pain and/or general discomfort. My dentist explained this to me and a year after sinus surgery I can always tell when there is sinus inflammation because I feel it more in my teeth than my sinuses.

M.
Thank you so much. I was worried. As long as I know it is common, than I won't panic. I don't like it, but at least I know it is normal.

Thanks again.....

Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

Cheers. Good luck to you.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I mentioned the teeth pain to my surgeon a few days ago. I get it when I use the neti pot. Her opinion was it was good as the sinuses were cleaned out.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User

Thank you for your reply. Maybe the pain is a good sign, I just wasn't expecting it. It doesn't get better or worse after I do a sinus rinse. It is just constant. Hopefully it will start to get better soon.

Thanks for giving me a little hope.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
(male)

DougNTexas HB User

Had a Poylp removed a week ago tomorrow. Found out yesterday it is cancer. I am ok, but my teeth are killing me. I usually have a high pain tolerence, but this is a bad pain and the meds are gone.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
(male)

DougNTexas HB User

Had surgery to remove a poylp a week ago tomorrow. I have a high pain tolerence, but my teeth a killing me. I found out the poylp is cancer.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNTexas View Post
Had surgery to remove a poylp a week ago tomorrow. I have a high pain tolerence, but my teeth a killing me. I found out the poylp is cancer.
Sorry to hear about your surgery and resulting teeth pain. I experienced the teeth pain for quite a few months, but it has gone away. The pain at first was very bad, but it did get tolerable within a few weeks. I did take over the counter pain meds and they seemed to help some. They took the edge off the pain at least.

Good luck to you!

Sue McLean

Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
(male)

DougNTexas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCLEAN View Post
Sorry to hear about your surgery and resulting teeth pain. I experienced the teeth pain for quite a few months, but it has gone away. The pain at first was very bad, but it did get tolerable within a few weeks. I did take over the counter pain meds and they seemed to help some. They took the edge off the pain at least.

Good luck to you!

Sue McLean

Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
(male)

DougNTexas HB User

Went in to see the Dr. again. The Nurse was wrong. It was not cancer. Wasn't totally benign either. Kinda Pre cancerous, but Dr. said I would be fine. Said I will be watched very closel in the future.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #12
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User

Quote:
Went in to see the Dr. again. The Nurse was wrong. It was not cancer. Wasn't totally benign either. Kinda Pre cancerous, but Dr. said I would be fine. Said I will be watched very closel in the future.
That's great news! Glad to hear it. I am sure your teeth will start to feel better soon as well.

Sue McLean

Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
(male)

DougNTexas HB User

It was NOT cancer. Thank the Lord. Been 10 days now since the surgery and my teeth are still killing me.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
(female)

SMCLEAN HB User

Quote:
It was NOT cancer. Thank the Lord. Been 10 days now since the surgery and my teeth are still killing me.
My teeth hurt for months. I had surgery in July and would say I felt it until October. However, the sharpest pain started to lessen after 3 weeks or so. It was just an annoyance after that until it finally faded away.

Good Luck!
Sue

Closed Thread