It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

salinson HB User
Question five (5) surgeries at one time

Hello:

My husband is schedules for a SEPTOPLASTY, BILATERAL SUBMUCOS RESECTION OF TURBINATES, BILATERAL ENDOSCOPIC TOTAL ETHMOIDECTOMY, MAXILLARY ANTROSTOMY WITH BIOPSY AND SPHENOIDOTOMIES surgery on Aug 1, '12. Can someone please tell me what all this means. I know it's surgery, but I would like to know if anyone has ever gone through this type of surgery.

Last edited by salinson; 07-24-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: five (5) surgeries at one time

There are really 3 different types of operations your husband is having. The Septoplasty is basically a "nose job" that will remove cartilage and bone to improve the flow of air and drainage in his nose (most likely by correcting a deviated septum).

The turbinate resection will remove some tissue from his turbinates (which direct the flow of air and drainage in the nose) to improve the air flow an drainage.

The remaining three are all operations to expand the openings of his ethmoid, sphenoid and maxillary sinuses (the ethmoids are very small so they are generally "removed").

It's not uncommon to have these procedures together though the septoplasty does add some complications to the recovery process. Did the surgeon specifically explain why he's performing each procedure and what they're intended to accomplish?

When it comes to sinus surgery it's most effective if the doctors can medically address the underlying problem (allergies, acid reflux, etc.) and the surgery is addressing a specific need. Surgery by itself rarely solves sinus issues for the long term.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

salinson HB User
Re: five (5) surgeries at one time

Thank you very much for explaining all these procedures to me.

My husband has had his nose broken more than a few times. I have no idea why his is ENT wants to do all this at one time.

Thanks again for all this information.

Closed Thread