It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

Jlxxxx HB User
Question CT Sinus- what does this mean?

I just had a CT due to recurrent sinusitis that ive had practically my entire life. Ive had 12 rounds of antibiotics and 7 rounds of steroids since october so i finally saw an ENT instead of my PCP. My ENT's MA called with the results of my CT & said that he wanted to see me to discuss all our "options" but it won't be for two weeks. She faxed the report to me and, shortened of course, it says:

1) septal deviation of at least 5-6 mm
2) hypoplastic frontal sinus
3) haller cells of the ostiomeatal units

What does this mean- Especially the third one? And Im ready for surgery, tired of the antibiotics and steroids that don't work well for me. But what surgeries could be done? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User
Re: CT Sinus- what does this mean?

Haller cells are also known as infraorbital ethmoidal air cells or maxilloethmoidal cells. They are extramural ethmoidal air cells that extend into the inferomedial orbital floor and are present in 2 - 45% of patients, depending on their exact definition. In most instances they are asymptomatic, and (although some controversy exists 4-5) they are generally not thought to be associated with increased rates of sinusitis. They may become clinically significant in a number of situations; become infected, with the potential for extension into the orbit, may narrow the ipsilateral osteomeatal complex (OMC) if large and may thereby predisposing the ipsilateral maxillary antrum to obstruction may lead to inadvertent entry into the orbit if unrecognised at endoscopic surgery.

Hope this was useful...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
sinus, sinus infections, sinus issues, sinus remedy