It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

cindyivy76 HB User
Cool Polypectomy and Septoplasty Surgery Concerns

Hey All. I'm new here, so please bare with me. I recently went to an ENT and was diagnosed with nasal polyps on the right side of my nose and a slight deviated septum on the left. I have surgery scheduled for Sept. 24, 2012 for both. My doctor said that normally he wouldn't do anything with my deviated septum, but since he was going to do the Polypectomy, he would do the Septoplasty as well. I've heard horror stories about the surgery and recovery for the Septoplasty and was wanting some opinions from others if I should have the procedure done as well for the deviated septum. I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Polypectomy and Septoplasty Surgery Concerns

There's really no easy answer to your question but here are a couple of thoughts:

First of all, has your doctor attempted to treat the polyps medically before jumping to surgery? It's possible to treat polyps with a course of oral prednisone and steroid nasal spray if the polyps aren't too severe. It seems like some ENTs just want to operate no matter what, and polyps have a tendency to recur if the underlying cause (often allergies) aren't treated.

As for whether you should have the deviated septum surgery, I would say "no" unless you get a second opinion from an ENT who recommends it. The polypectomy isn't a lot of fun but it's relatively minor surgery that involves removing inflamed tissue. The deviated septum surgery is MUCH more invasive and involves removing bone and cartilage and is definitely a tougher recovery.

If you needed the more invasive procedure it might make sense to have a minor procedure at the same time, but it doesn't seem to make sense to have the deviated septum surgery at all if the doctor wouldn't normally bother (it's kind of like taking your car in for a minor brake job and having a mechanic say "since you came in for a brake job why don't I go ahead an replace the transmission at the same time".

That's just my 2 cents, but as someone who has had 5 different sinus surgeries, I would never recommend having something as invasive as septoplasty done unless it's absolutely necessary.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread