It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #1
(female)

Necrokat HB User
Nasal surgery or meds and sprays? have to decide soon

Hi. Need advice! Have to make a decision soon. Iím 47 and having lotsa trouble breathing especially at night, due to swelling and congestion. My sleep apnea makes it worse since when my nose closes up, I also have the mask on so I wake up in a panic. Iíve been using Afrin type sprays for so long, they donít work but a couple hours now.

So went to a new Dr. He wants me to get a internal nasal reconstruction, and a sub mucous resection of the inferior turbinate. And here I thought Iíd only need some pills and a new spray! Iím a bit leery of his diagnosis. Donít wanna sound paranoid but the new Doc is in a ritzy part of town, with a newer building that he built, and his own nurse told me theyíre having financial troubles. They built an ambulatory care facility that they havenít even been able to use for last couple years because the Accreditation fees were to much for them ($40,000 a year she told me). Iím a bit suspect of the Docís motivation in my diagnosis. So for the first time ever, I had a second opinion. That Dr says my septum is not that deviated and that he thinks we can handle it with meds (IC MONTELUKAST SOD) and QNASL spray. Iíve read bad stuff about the spray. That it takes away your sense of tase and smell sometimes and can even be permanent, so have only used it a few times (nothing bad so far). Also Iím hesitant on the surgery because when I was 11 a doc removed my adenoids and Iíve had problems ever since.
BUT to complicate my decision, if I had the surgery before the end of the yearÖitíd be FREE! Only time in my like, but I met my outta pocket this year so the insurance covers everything till 2013. So I guess what Iím asking is, do you folks think I should treat my nasal problems with meds and sprays, or get the surgery? Has anyone around here had comparable surgery and can illuminate me with your experience? If the surgery can usually make a big difference then maybe I should get it, but gotta decide soon! Thanks for looking!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Nasal surgery or meds and sprays? have to decide soon

I would recommend you stick with second doctor and avoid the surgery until you've exhausted all other options.

Sinus surgery only works over the long-term if you eliminate (or minimize) the underlying cause of the inflammation (whether that's allergies or something else). In your case, it sounds like Afrin is part of the problem (it actually causes swelling if you overuse it) so you need to get off the Afrin, get on medication to reduce the inflammation in your sinuses (which Singulair and QNASL should help with) and see if that solves the problems.

Hopefully you told the doctor about your overuse of Afrin - if you didn't you should definitely discuss it with the doctor and ask about a short course of oral steroids and possibly nasal irrigation to help you recover from the Afrin "rebound swelling".

I would definitely hold off on the surgery until all of your other options have been exhausted (and if you're concerned about QNASL, ask about Flonase or Rhinocort, both have been on the market for a VERY long time and are very safe and effective).

Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User

Necrokat, i would advice getting rid of the nasal sprays in this equation because as you should know, they are there for temporary use and therefore should not be use for long term otherwise you will suffer rebound sinusitis and you might frequently get sinus problems. Nasal sprays damage the nasal lining when they are over used.

When it comes to the other options you have to weigh the positives and negatives of each way of treating your sinusitis and see which one is more suitable and effective.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

Necrokat HB User

^ yeah i know i gotta get off the afrin type stuff. definitely gonna do that. it's already about done. but still trying to decide on the surgery or meds route. obviously would rather go meds, but if there's even a small chance that i'd have no option BUT the surgery in the future (and i'm betting there's actually a good chance of that) then i'd rather do the surgery before end of year. it would be covered in full by insurance this year since i met out of pocket. so if i absolutely HAVE to have the surgery in say 5 years then it'd be mostly on my dime.

and of course with the political climate as it stands...who's to say i'd even have insurance after this year lol! so again, advice appreciated and i'd love to hear from ANYONE who's had experience with the surgery or the Singulair & Qnasal routes.
thanks to the above who responded!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
(male)

bobb101794 HB User

I freaked out on the Sing.....

Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
(female)

Necrokat HB User

what's that mean ^ lol. Well, i think i'm gonna have the surgery. the pills work pretty good, but the Qnasl isn't doing anything. i hate to go under the knife for this but not sure what kinda insurance i'll have next year. really love to hear from anyone who's had this procedure.
how long to heal?
any complications?
are you happy with it and did it work for ya?

Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #7
(male)

webwalker00 HB User

I am in the same boat as you, have to decide on surgery or not. Doc wants to do submucosa resection and septoplasty.

Let us know how yours turns out!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
(male)

cnyguy HB User

One thing to be aware of is if the doc does this surgery, will you have to have packing in your nose for a week or so. That means that you MUST be able to breathe thru your mouth if you are going to sleep during that period.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyguy View Post
One thing to be aware of is if the doc does this surgery, will you have to have packing in your nose for a week or so. That means that you MUST be able to breathe thru your mouth if you are going to sleep during that period.
That's not necessarily the case. The trend among surgeons is using less packing for a shorter period of time. Some surgeons don't use packing at all, and those that do rarely leave it in for more than a day or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
cnyguy (12-21-2012)
Reply Reply