I tried the 1% Johnsons baby shampoo mixed with the usual 240 ml sinus rinse on the advice of my ENT. I used it for almost a month. I didn't get sick the way you describe, but ever since using it, and even after having stopped for several weeks now, I get periods of "swelling" and/or extreme dryness (I think that's what I'm feeling) deep in my sinsuses on both sides that I can't do anything to correct and that seem to come and go for no reason. Before using the baby shampoo, I was only having problems on the left side of a completely different nature. I don't know if/how the baby shampoo plays any role in this, but things actually have been much WORSE since using it. It's now a different kind of problem (the swelling/allergy like feeling deep in my sinuses) and it's now on BOTH sides.
Personally, I wouldn't touch it again because it's too much of a coincidence that this happened after using the baby shampoo. I didn't like the feeling it gave me in the first place, and it now seems to come on whenever it wants to, even weeks after having discontinued it.
Originally Posted by carzy
I was just wondering if anyone has tried the technique where you add a few drops of johnsons baby shampoo to a nasal/sinus rinse bottle. It is supposed to act as a surfactant, prevent biofilm and kill plankotonic (free) bacteria. I have tried it a couple times and I find that it helps, but it almost causes a herxheimer reaction? Maybe it is the toxins the bacteria give off when they die but I get really flushed and a sore throat about 3 hours after I do the rinsing. Every day I progressively have less and less green/yellow discharge and less post nasal drip and I can smell so much better - so I do feel like it must be helping, its just I feel so sick for about 8 hours after doing it.
How long did you continue with the baby shampoo? and did you have any sort of similar reaction?