It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

jela001 HB User
Chronic sinus problems.

I am really at the end of my rope, I have had chronic sinus infections for years, I have been on every antibiotic there is nothing ever works for long, on my last dr visit 2 weeks ago I was given avalox, SUPER expensive 70 dollars even with insurance!! of course it did now work, I have chronic fatigue and ear and sinus pain that makes me want to cry most days, its a struggle to go to work and I cant take any time off because I run my own dept and have noone to cover for me, this has taken a HUGE toll on my family as well as my coworkers, I am so depressed and runned down every day, I dont see any light at the end of the tunnell, I was diagnosed with a deviated septum, but the surgery is probably costly,, does anyone know of any meds that REALLY work? I would appreciate any feedback I can get, I just want my life back.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

jerry486 HB User
Re: Chronic sinus problems.

They do say that when you reach the end of your rope, you just have to tie a knot and hang in there. If you have a sinus condition like a deviated septum it is usually best to get the nose corrected because the nose structure kinda determines how often you are likely to get a sinus infection.

If antibiotics are not doing it for you then you should talk to your doctor about alternative ways of treating your sinusitis. I don't know how your country works but if you have more than 4 infections a year then you can be granted surgery help by some public hospital.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User

It's a little tough to give you a helpful response without a bit more information.

Are antibiotics the only medications you've taken for your sinus problems or are you taking medications to reduce the inflammation in your sinuses as well? Generally, chronic sinus infections are the result of sinuses that aren't draining properly due to allergic inflammation, a deviated septum or in some cases even acid reflux.

Generally, the normal medical regimen for chronic sinus problems is going to look like this:

-Antihistamines or allergy shots (if you have allergies)
-Daily saline irrigation with a SinusRinse bottle or neti pot
-A steroid nasal spray to reduce inflammation (Flonase, Rhinocort, etc.)
-Singulair to help reduce inflammation

For some people over-the-counter medications like Sudafed and Mucinex also help avoid congestion and keep mucus draining so it doesn't collect in your sinuses and get infected.

If you haven't recently seen an ENT you might consider that as the next step to make sure that there isn't some other issue (nasal polyps, etc.) causing your recurring infections, and you might also consider seeing an allergist/immunologist to get tested for allergies and to have your immune function tested (repeated infections can actually be self-perpetuating if your immune system never has a chance to bounce back).

It's definitely a pain in the behind to go through the process of figuring out what's causing your chronic infections but the key to getting this under control over the long-run is figuring out what's behind the infections and finding a doctor who can help you manage the underlying cause before it becomes an infection that requires antibiotics.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
jela001 (10-08-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

jela001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
It's a little tough to give you a helpful response without a bit more information.

Are antibiotics the only medications you've taken for your sinus problems or are you taking medications to reduce the inflammation in your sinuses as well? Generally, chronic sinus infections are the result of sinuses that aren't draining properly due to allergic inflammation, a deviated septum or in some cases even acid reflux.

Generally, the normal medical regimen for chronic sinus problems is going to look like this:

-Antihistamines or allergy shots (if you have allergies)
-Daily saline irrigation with a SinusRinse bottle or neti pot
-A steroid nasal spray to reduce inflammation (Flonase, Rhinocort, etc.)
-Singulair to help reduce inflammation

For some people over-the-counter medications like Sudafed and Mucinex also help avoid congestion and keep mucus draining so it doesn't collect in your sinuses and get infected.

If you haven't recently seen an ENT you might consider that as the next step to make sure that there isn't some other issue (nasal polyps, etc.) causing your recurring infections, and you might also consider seeing an allergist/immunologist to get tested for allergies and to have your immune function tested (repeated infections can actually be self-perpetuating if your immune system never has a chance to bounce back).

It's definitely a pain in the behind to go through the process of figuring out what's causing your chronic infections but the key to getting this under control over the long-run is figuring out what's behind the infections and finding a doctor who can help you manage the underlying cause before it becomes an infection that requires antibiotics.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
(female)

jela001 HB User

Thank you so much for the information, I have been on several different antibiotics, and they never worked for long I then had to move up to sulpha based antibiotics, today my doctor gave me a steriod shot for the first time and I am hopeful it will work, and since avalox didnt work he put me on a new antibiotic called cefuroxime for 30 days. I am being referred to an ent doctor to have a cat scan of my sinuses to check for polyps,e.t.c. I use a sinus rinse twice a day and I am taking mucinex, I have been so afraid of calling in sick at work because when you do it means someone else has to come in for you and I feel guilty plus management always makes you feel like you are lying, but today my dr insisted that I take 2 days off from work to rest, so I did first time in 6 years!!! I am so grateful to know that there are people out there like you who understand what this is like and what a toll it takes on your life. Thank you SO much!!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
(female)

jela001 HB User

Thank you so much for your post, I am going in to see an ENT doctor to see about surgery for my deviated septum. I am hopeful that surgery will give me my life back so I can feel normal and healthy again, I have forgotten what it feels like to not be sick and tired all of the time. once again, Thank you so much for your post, its nice to know someone out there is listening

Old 10-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
(male)

dapetroni HB User

I ran across your post and perhaps my post from the Thyroid Board is relevant.

See Below & Good Luck....

YES! I am currently experiencing this. I had been steady state on 137 mcg Synthroid for six months (tsh: 1.25,1.45,1.26) when I decided to try going Gluten Free to see if this would clear up my chronic sinus inflammation - and I mean chronic.

It was AMAZING how fast my sinuses opened up. Within 2 days I could breath! No more Mucinex D, nasal steroid spray, netti pot rinses, allergy meds, ibuprofen - It also did something positive to my energy level, I felt the best I had felt in the 3 years since RAI (for Graves).

Then about 2 weeks into this new GF diet, I starting experiencing heart palps, insomnia, and muscle pain in my back. All these symptoms increased each week. By week 5 my skin was turning red -Flush and it was burning, , my backpain was severe, I had tingling in my hands, and twitching above my left eye. At this point I immediately stopped my 137mcg, but it took 3 days before I could get in for a blood test and see my doc.

The results from the blood work taken after 3 days on no synthroid were: tsh: 3.45, T4: 1.33, T3: 104. It is not clear to me how fast the tsh can change. He told me that I may be absorbing more of the Synthroid on my new diet, and he lowered my dose to 88 mcg, and said come back in 5 weeks for a blood test.

It has been 1 on the new dosage and I am beginning to feel symptoms of Hypo - Brain Fog, low pulse (was in the 70's now at 52 bpm), low concentration, memory problems, slowwwwwing down of the system. Heart palpatations are gone, the flushing is gone, the insomnia is gone. However, the back/muscle pains are still present. And my energy level is down.

Can you give me any advice?

Reply Reply