It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

HOTcakes HB User
Can a food allergy cause nasal pressure?

For the past year I've had really bad sinus pressure and pain the radiates up to my temples. Its worst on the left side but I can feel it on both. about a year ago my General practitioner told me I had a sinus infection and I was given antibiotics. After 3 rounds I didn't get better. I went to an ENT who ordered a CT scan of my face. She said that there was no infection and that it was likely allergies. I know I have spring time allergies but this was in the winter so it didn't seem right. I started Flonase and Zyrtec and didn't see any improvement. Over spring my allergies kicked in an I was miserable. I got double ear infections and was treated with another round of antibiotics. The infection went away but since then I have a ticking in my ear ticks in beat with my strides when I walk or run. Over summer I finally had time to see an allergist. He did a skin test that showed that I was allergic to spring trees and cats and started me on allergy shots. This might help in the future but doesn't do anything for my current situation. in the fall I went to another ENT who did another CT scan that showed that I have swollen turbinates and a deviated septum. He said surgery was an option but he didn't think that would really help me. He told me to go see an allergist. Its now late fall and I just saw an allergist in the summer. Everyone is saying that I don't have an infection of any kind and everyone but the allergist thinks its allergies. I'm a sophomore in college studying engineering and this is destoying my grades and social life. I have no idea what could be causing this and don't have time to go see another doctor till winter break and I don't think my grades will make it till then. The only thing I could think could be causing this is a food allergy of some sort. Any insight on causes or symptom relief would be greatly appreciated

I can breath just fine though my nose during the day and feel a pressure at the top of my nasal bridge. At night I get a post nasal drip and from time to time I can hear things moving around. sometimes the pressure moves to my ear and it feels like I have an ear infection but campus care has assured me I don't. Pretty much all of the doctors told me to use a nedi pot and after I'm finished using it when I shake my head I can hear water swishing around. I know that not right.

Also I think I might have a touch of TMJD, sometimes the left side of my jaw cracks, but this wouldn't cause swollen turbinates would it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
(male)

HOTcakes HB User
Re: Can a food allergy cause nasal pressure?

Anyone got anything?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

Annie101 HB User

I'm not crazy about the Neti pot - but I do like the high volume Sinus Rinse - you might try that. You don't have to tilt your head from side to side so I like that better. Use the rinse and blow your nose BEFORE you use your steroid nose spray.

Also, can you take Sudafed when you are feeling the pain and pressure? That might help it.

Have you tried OTC Allegra? Or Allegra D (don't take the Sudafed with this)

Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #4
(female)

Nightwarrior HB User

It is very complicated, but allergies can play a large part in triggering the inflammation in the sinus and nasal passages. I have had allergies to cats/pollen/dust/trees/mould/housedust mite etc all my life and usually react with wheezing, itching, sneezing and at its worst..asthma.. But I have managed to control my allergies with antihystamines. And haven't had asthma for 15 years now...but I still continued to take loratadine/ceterizine routinely. I'm now on what you would know as Allegra (Fexofenadine)

So my sinusitis has been put down to allergies....has my body suddenly changed after 40 years to deal with allergies? Quite possibly, but maybe a different allergy...possibly food allergy. I know I developed an intolerance to white processed bread 8 years ago as it made me feel nauseous (but have been ok with wholemeal). But your body can change and react differently.

Dairy/soya/gluten/sugar/alcohol are all supposed to make sinusitis worse...it's hard to determine where or how to start eliminating everything from your diet.

My problem is I'm attacking my sinusitis from every angle, so going to be difficult to pinpoint the real cause if I succeed in beating this infection.

Also trying to find the right antibiotic is tricky (doctors in UK don't tend to do cultures to identify correct antibiotic....they just give amoxicillin for 7-10 days as standard and then infection comes straight back after a few days of temporary respite).

Though after reading about peroxide solution flooding, I'm now beginning to undestand the cycle of re-infection! So that's why I'm now on a 2 week course of Doxycycline AND 2-3 times daily sinus flooding with either very dilute peroxide/saline/bicarb or colloidal silver/saline/bicarb (colloidal silver seems to be less aggressive but I'm not sure how effective these are at the concentrations I'm using!)

Reply Reply

Tags
allergies, head ache, pressure, sinus, turbinates