It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
(male)

hopingforgood HB User
Things Getting Worse

I have struggled with sinus issues for more than a decade, and probably longer than that where I didn't realize my issues.

Lately, things seem to be getting worse, despite my efforts. A few years ago I had 2 sinus procedures (septoplasty, turbinate reduction, etc.), been on allergy shots at different times, tried all the antihistamines, nasal sprays etc. I took out all carpet in my home, got a super nice air filter for the bedroom, covers for the mattress/pillows and did work in the crawlspace to reduce moisture.

Neti pot seems to make me feel worse the day after, like I am getting a sinus infection.

This has been the worst year yet...I don't know where to turn right now. Some friends are telling me to try a gluten free diet, and on these boards I just read about some sort of peroxide rinse to try. I am thinking about quitting allergy shots becaues they definitely have not helped and maybe are making things worse.

Any suggestions would be welcome as it is severely impacting quality of life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Things Getting Worse

I would try the gluten free for a while giving it at least 3 months. read up on it at least a week before you go shopping it can be difficult to understand. I just we on it and then off of it after getting a biopsy for it while having an upper endoscopy. so I don't have to worry about that but do have to worry about a gerd diet. always something, huh?

good luck, don't give up! Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
(male)

hopingforgood HB User

thank you cathy....

i am definitely going to try gluten free, but i am also wondering if anyone has had any success with antifungal drugs, or if anyone has realized an immune disease like Lupus or others has been the root cause of their sinusitis.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
(male)

hopingforgood HB User

Today i tried a couple of alternative nasal sprays, a natural sinus tablet that dissolves, and a supplement with quercetin and other stuff. i am not going to mention the names because i don't want people to think i am trying to hock stuff, and heck, I have no idea if they are even working but i do know i felt better shortly after i took them. for the nasal sprays, i sprayed them then laid on my back on my bed with my head hanging over the side to get the spray into the upper sinus and it burned pretty bad...which in a way is good because I know that is the area giving me the most problem now.

My game plan:
- consider getting off allergy shots
- 30 minutes of meditation/ohm each day (vibrations hopefully help sinuses)
- nasal sprays then laying on back with head down
- go to as much of a natural food diet as possible
- not work as much and focus that time on my health

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
(female)

Nightwarrior HB User

Hi. I'm pretty much considering the same thing. I have always had allergies to cats, pollen, house dust & mite so I also bought special mattress/duvet & pillowcase covers. I bought a hepa air filter for the house (amazing how much dust it sucks in!). I have no carpets either. But my sinusitis has been ongoing for 6 months now.

I have just gone dairy free (with the exception of a little feta from sheep/goat) but reluctant to go completely gluten free. I know I have an intolerance to white bread, but have always been OK with wholemeal products...but I may have become intolerant to gluten now! In the UK, allergy testing isn't routinely done anymore. I had shots as a kid to desensitize myself to house dust/mite but don't think it worked. I think it doesn't make much difference knowing you are allergic to everything...there is no way of avoiding pollen, tree/fungal spores unless you live in a bubble.

But, I have been allergic all my life...so why the sinusitis now after 40 years???

I haven't any suggestions as I'm still battling to find the cause, the same as you..but eating healthy is probably a good start.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

hopingforgood HB User

been on pulmicort respules in neilmed sinus wash for a few days now per my allergist and so far feeling a little better. the allergist is actually about to give up, stating that if this doesn't work he doesn't know what to do. i had tried the neti pot and neil med rinses in the past but felt worse the next day. so far the neilmed rinse with pulmicort has not given me the same negative feeling. i am hoping using this for a month or so will give the cilia time to start working property and maybe get things back on track. we will see.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
(male)

hopingforgood HB User

also...some docs include bactroban in addition to the pulmicort. overall, this solution makes a lot of sense to me and am hoping i continue to feel progress. i wish i would have known about this before my 2 surgeries...not saying it will work for sure, but it is a common sense approach which is a lot better than surgery if it does work.

Closed Thread