HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Sinus Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/)
-   -   Sinusitis - It's like a bad joke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/sinus-problems/928796-sinusitis-its-like-bad-joke.html)

obxman16 11-23-2012 07:32 PM

Sinusitis - It's like a bad joke

Hello to everyone. I am the new guy here and I am 26 year old white male 5' 10" 180 lbs from Pittsburgh, PA.

I have been suffering from Sinus issues my entire life as I can remember it. I remember being a kid and looking at an X-Ray and the nurse saying man those look bad.

Fast forward 20 years and here I am today. I have been dealing with the worse case of chronic sinusitis for the past year. On a regular basis I have a bad nagging head pressure and feels like my head is going to blow. I have to swallow going down a small hill to equal my ears out. I know I am diagnosed with bad allergies. I have been tested this year and the outcome was not good. Basically I am allergic to Earth indoors and outdoors. Does anyone have any idea if Sinusitis can aggravating Anxiety and/or TMJ? Ever since this started last Christmas I have feel into a "google" every symptom phase. I know that is not what I should be doing. It is odd though. I feel like I can find something wrong with me at all times. I know also I have a deviated septum. I have been to multiple ENT's and I end up with the same diagnosis. Here is a prescription of predisone and some keflex. I am starting to feel that medical isn't working anymore. I am running out of ideas. No one has suggested surgery to me at all yet. I do have nasal polyps which probably has something do with my mouth breathing.

Any advice / ideas are most welcome. I am just looking for the next rabbit hole

Thanks! Corey

gcsjr 11-24-2012 11:12 AM

Re: Sinusitis - It's like a bad joke

Based on what you've shared it doesn't sound like you've actually seen a doctor who has tried to treat you for CHRONIC sinusitis.

Antibiotics and prednisone are generally prescribed for acute sinusitis (which is caused by a bacterial infection). Chronic sinusitis is the result of inflammation in your sinuses and has a very different treatment regimen that usually includes:

-Antihistamines (with a decongestant or you can take pseudoephedrine separately)
-Singulair (which helps keeps polyps from recurring)
-Daily use of a steroid nasal spray like RhinocortAQ or Flonase (usually after a round of oral steroids to shrink inflammation)
-Daily saline irrigation with a NeilMed SinusRinse bottle (available at CVS or Walgreens)
-Mucinex to thin out the sinus drainage (available at CVS/Walgreens without a prescription)
-Allergy shots

Your best bet is to find an ENT who specializes in the treatment of chronic sinusitis, which means looking for someone at a teaching hospital like UPMC in Pittsburgh (most office based ENTs simply don't have the training to treat chronic sinus disease). Based on the UPMC website, Dr. Berrylin Ferguson heads up the department that treats chronic sinus disease (and she is a recognized expert in that area) so you should probably start there.

It takes time (and the right doctor) to get chronic sinusitis under control, so don't give up, but there is a lot that can be done to help. You can try things like saline irrigation and Mucinex immediately but getting the polyps and inflammation under control will take medical help.