It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
(male)

dave999 HB User
Sinuses Causing Sound Sensitivity? Advice Please

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this, or advice.

I've had allergies my whole life. I've never been tested for exactly what, but it always seemed like the basic hay fever type stuff. Usually it gets the worst in the fall and spring. Over the last ten years, I've noticed the runny nose and sneezing has been less. I still get days here and there that are bad. But what has taken over are headaches. About 5 years back, I first started noticing that I would occasionally get headaches, which also had sound sensitivity. It's like high pitched sounds... even just a wrapper crinkling... make it feel like nails getting shoved into my brain. The first few times I felt it, I was outside all day, and also at a higher elevation. I assumed it was a sinus thing, and allergies and/or the pressure change did it.

So now, for the last couple years, I've started getting them a lot more. I use to recover overnight, but now it takes a few days. It often starts with pain localized to the sinus areas... kind of like you're breathing air that is too cold and stings. But then spreads to my whole head. The last time I had one, I had the worst sensitivity to sound so far, but this time it has not gone away. I can barely do anything without pain. Taking the dishes out of the dish washer is like agony. I also tend to feel what seems like pressure in the ear area, and it seems like there's a lot of popping and pressure type sounds. But my nose is totally clear almost all the time. That's the weird part.

A doctor told me he thinks it's migraines. But I actually had to ask him to look at my sinuses and he didn't even look at my ears. I just don't think he cares enough to figure it out. He threw some scripts for allergy and migraine meds at me, and that was it. I personally don't think it's migraines.

So has anybody had experience with this? The sound thing is scaring me, because I play music, and I can't even play right now. I've just been taking some sudafed and putting my face over a vaporizer. No improvement on the sound part.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

AlteredFate HB User
Re: Sinuses Causing Sound Sensitivity? Advice Please

Thats not normal. I have terrible sinus and middle ear congestion and I rarely experience sensitivity to sound... I mostly experience random ear pain sound or no sound.

Is the pain in your ears or your head?

Are you experiencing other typical sinus symptoms, trouble breathing, runny nose, etc?

What makes you think this is sinus related? I'm not saying your wrong, just trying to clarify a few things.

You need to see a better doctor first and foremost... maybe an ENT... and probably a CAT scan.

Reply Reply