It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User
Unusual symptoms - Are they linked to my chronic sinusitis?

Hi all,

I have a question about about a symptom that may or may not be linked to my sinus problems. I've been very sick for 9 months and it's really started to mess with my head. It's possibly I'm reading too much into my symptoms but I was wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar. I apologise for the graphic, long winded detail I've gone into but I feel all the details are relevant.

Here is the history, I'm 29 years old and have always been extremely healthy. The only health problem I've ever had is sinusitis. From age 9 until earlier this year I've averaged about 2 sinus infections a year (although) there were 2 or 3 year periods when I didn't have any and up until now this has been bearable, I would feel a little sick for 2 or 3 days, then Augmentin or Amoxicillin would work and I would be fine for months. I never thoat too much of them, I've been having them most of my life and I thought everybody got them, like the common cold. I'd get the odd common head cold maybe once a year but sometimes I'd get through a year or two without one. I've had sinual bronchitis 3 times, once in 2006, once in 2010 and and then again in August of this year. I've never had pneumonia.

In March this year I got a throat infection. Other than a red and very sore throat, a very minor runny nose and a slight fever there were no other symptoms. I went to my GP, he prescribed Amoxicillin and it went away. 3 weeks later it came back, I went back for more antibiotics and this happened another 3 times after that at 3 or

4 week intervals until the point where I had taken 5 courses of Amoxicillin at ever increasing doses. In all this time my GP never once picked up that my throat infections were being caused by a severe post nasal drip and for some reason I couldnt feel the post nasal drip, still can't but now I know it's there. My GP just told me it was "bad luck" and kept asking me if I work with kids. I've since changed GP's. In August, I developed a bad cough, had a coughing fit in a shopping centre on Sunday afternoon, couldnt catch my breath, passed out and had to be rushed to the emergency room by my husband. The post nasal drip and sinual bronchitis was diagnosed. I was given antibiotiC and cortisone shots. A weeks worth of oral anti-biotics and cortisone and strict bed rest at home for a week. The following day I developed a head cold on top of the bronchitis and it was the worst week of my life.

Four weeks after that I got the worst sinus infection of my life and FINALLY was referred to an ENT. This sinus infection has never gone away despite 2 courses of Cefpodoxime, 3 courses of Moxifloxicin 400mg, various steroid nasal sprays, antibiotic nasal sprays and one 3 week dose of Nexium (my ENT was trying to rule out acid reflux). I have no idea a sinus infection could be so debilitating!

My symptoms have been severe facial and upper jaw pain, tooth ache (upper teeth only),red blotchy patches around my nose, congestion, permanent sore throat, yellow nasal discharge as well has yellow post nasal drip, upset stomach (rarely, maybe 3 or 3 times), on and off fever, constant throat clearing and a permanent sinus headache, eye pressure, eye pain, blurry vision and constant fatigue, 2 very slightly enlarged lymph nodes, less than 2 cm, soft and movable, on the right side of my neck (they're since gone down dramatically but are still there).

The Moxifloxicin gave me terrible chest pain and pins and needles down my left side sometime for up to a week after I finished the course. The codeine painkillers I was prescribed have left me constantly constipated.

My problem has since been diagnosed as chronic sinusitis. I've been for a CT scan and that showed that I have a large concha bullosa in my left sinus passage and a badly deviated septum to the right (my ENT says it's one of the worst he's ever seen). I'm scheduled to have a septoplasty and an endoscopic turbinectomy on the 29th Jan 2013. I can't wait to not feel like this anymore!

So here is my question. After the last course of antibiotics I decided not to take anymore antibiotics (they dont work and they just make me sick). I went out and bought a whole bunch of homepathic sinus and throat remedies and a Neti pot. The Neti pot is the most fantastic invention ever, my systoms have almost disappeared and I feel better than I have in months. The only problem now in on and off sinus/facial pain (not every day) and low grade headache and toothache. I havent had a sore throat in 3 weeks.

About two weeks ago I started to have a problem with my eyes, for the first week it felt like they were being pushed out of my sockets and the rims and eyelids felt irritated. Not sore or itchy just irritated. That went away. Then about a week ago my eyes started burning and I started to get sharp twinges in my eyeballs and my skin on my face started to burn, there is no rash or anything, just a burning sensation on the surface of my skin and it's only on my face. It feels strange and I've never experienced anything like this before. It's very uncomfortable. Has anybody else with chronic sinusitis experienced this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

The following user gives a hug of support to Serenity0202:
Liquidplasma (12-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Re: Unusual symptoms - Are they linked to my chronic sinusitis?

When you say cheek pain , pressure or muscle pain?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User

Hi, pressue in my cheeks, but since I started using a neti pot the severe sympoms are gone. It's just the eye discomfort that's bothering me.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
(female)

jmoore8296 HB User

I had similar problems when I was younger. I did have surgery and it did help. I also am very hypo thyroid, have you had yours checked? That is one of the symptoms. Good Luck. I have been there and it isn't fun!

Reply Reply