It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User
Has sinus surgery worked for anyone with chronic sinusitis?

Hi again,

I have a new question today

For those of you who have an turbinate reduction, septoplasty, nasal polyps removed etc to cure/alleviate chronic sinusitis, please help!

Just a recap from my last post:

-Chronic debilitating sinusitis for 9 months with all that goes along with that.
-Large concha bullosa and badly deviated septum.
-8 courses of antibiotics, cortisone, steroid nasal sprays etc (none of which worked in the long run).
-Neti pot is helping.
-Endoscopic turbinate surgery and septoplasty in 7 weeks.

So basically all this is new to me.9 months ago I didn't know chronic sinusitis existed and I'd never even heard of a deviated septum much less a concha bullosa.

While I've been reading a lots of message boards and articles online about sinus surgery, most of it was about the post-op recovery so I know all about that. What I want to know is, is there anybody who has had this surgery and it's actually worked for them in the long term. My ENT said it would take about 7 or 8 months before my sinuses have recovered fully from the surgery and the sinusitis and not to expect a miracle overnight.

So is there anybody who can tell me about their experiences 8+ months post-op.

Thank you for any replies!

Last edited by Serenity0202; 12-11-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Has sinus surgery worked for anyone with chronic sinusitis?

I wish I could give you a simple answer. I've had multiple surgeries and the results have been mixed. The first surgery to remove polyps and reduce turbinates was successful for about 5 years (though it didn't take anywhere near 8 months for things to return to normal).

Unfortunately, polyps have a tendency to recur and I had to have a second procedure to remove them 5 years later which was a disaster, and a year later had to have another procedure (and have had 2 more since then that have been very successful).

Based on my experience (and lots of long conversations with two world-renowned sinus surgeons who specialize in recurrent sinusitis and revision surgery), the two most critical factors for success are the surgeon's experience and the follow up regimen.

The truth is that most office-based ENTs don't perform enough sinus surgery to truly be experts at the procedures. Many remove too much tissue (which can cause problems) or fail to create drainage pathways for mucus (which can lead to mucus recirculation), so please be sure that your surgeon really knows what he/she is doing.

The follow up routine is also critical. Your doc should be planning 3-4 follow up visits in the weeks after surgery to remove crusts (scabs) that can lead to scarring. These are not pleasant visits but they are absolutely critical to the success of sinus surgery. If your doc isn't planning on this type of follow up, please find another doctor now.

Finally, polyps are tricky because they almost always recur. It will be critical to the long-term success of the procedure for you to work with an allergist/immunologist to keep the polyps at bay using allergy shots, Singulair (which tends to reduce the inflammation that leads to polyp formation), steroid nasal sprays and saline irrigation (a SinusRinse bottle works much better than a neti pot so you might give that a try).

Best of luck with the surgery itself - please update us on how it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to gcsjr For This Useful Post:
Serenity0202 (12-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User
Re: Has sinus surgery worked for anyone with chronic sinusitis?

Thank you so much for your reply. It was very informative. Now I know what to expect post op.

I googled my surgeon immediately after reading your message and I'm very happy with what I read about him. He's a very well-known and renouned surgeon in his field apparently. He seems very thorough and he diagnosed me after two consultations.

I do have polyps but they arent bad apparently and not as big a problem as the concha bullosa (which is huge according to the ENT) or my deviated septum (which is also quite severe). But I had planned to see an Allergist after all this because for some reason my allergies have suddenly gotten worse since I got chronic sinusitis. I dont know if they're connected to the chronic sinusitis or if toxins have just built up in my body but I'm taking anti-histimes for the first time in my life where in the past my allergies were so mild I never bothered with medication for them.

Just to clear up any confusion, here in South Africa we have opposite season to you guys in the States so we've just gone into summer and rainy/allergy season.

I can't imagine having 5 opertaions like you have so I really hope they sort it out first time! This thing has taken over my whole life.

I keep everyone updated about how my surgery goes and whether it helps.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about the SinuRinse bottle. Not sure if we get them here but I'll keep an eye out for one.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Serenity0202; 12-16-2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Left something out

Reply Reply