It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

Bea590 HB User
What was your recovery like after sinus surgery?

I had sinus surgery, no septum repair, 5 weeks ago to open and drain all my sinuses because of constant infections. The doctor is happy with my healing, but I constantly feel like I have a cold. I've been sneezing several times a day, am stuffy (but can breathe through my nose fine) and sound congested. I have a slight burning sensation in my nose, like you do when you have a cold.

I am irrigating 2 x a day with my Grossan irrigator but get little out. It's mainly keeping me hydrated.

I'm wondering what other people experienced after surgery and especially how long it took before you really felt better. So far, I don't feel any better than I did before surgery when I had constant sinus infections. I'm still fatigued, still have reduced taste and smell. It seems like 5 weeks out I should be doing better than I am.

Here comes Christmas and it looks like I'm going to go through another one in a fog.

Thanks, Burgh

Old 12-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: What was your recovery like after sinus surgery?

It would help if you could provide a little more info on exactly what was done, but after 5 weeks you should definitely be feeling better.

The fact that you feel like you have a cold makes me wonder if you are treating the underlying cause of your sinus issues effectively. Generally allergies are the culprit (acid reflux can also contribute to sinusitis) so hopefully you're on a treatment regimen for allergies (antihistamines, allergy injections, steroid nasal sprays and Singulair).

The surgery helps get your sinuses open and draining again but it's not a magic bullet if the underlying cause of the inflammation goes untreated so you should probably talk to your doctor to try to figure out what caused your issues in the first place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

Bea590 HB User

It turns out that less than six weeks after having surgery for recurrent sinus infections...I have a sinus infection. Why the h*** did I go through all that? I am livid, and so sick that all I can do is lay in bed and cry. Christmas? Oh, maybe I'll have the energy to do it next year.

Burgh

Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
(male)

marsbonfire29 HB User

Hey yo...

I've had two sinus surgeries: the first an endoscopic for orbital cellulitis; the second, a sinus obliteration procedure to remove a failed sinus that way draining fluids directly into my eye. Had both of these not been done, I would have firstly lost my left eye (the result of not getting the operation done had I "chickened out") prior to contracting a brain infection (encephalitis) or meningitis--in other words, there was absolutely no way out of these two procedures. The obliteration procedure is a surgery of last resort and to be avoided if possible. I've had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS with my sinuses since these two surgeries. I don't rinse the interior of my nose or sinuses in any way--the chronic sinus that I DID HAVE is gone much to the surprise of myself and my surgeon who thought that he'd be seeing me for the rest of my life. My comments regarding sinus obliteration are elsewhee in this forum. Best of luck to you!

Reply Reply