It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
I cant taste anything or smell

I had really bad flu for 2 weeks over Xmas. Since then I have not been able to smell anything or taste anything.

All the food i eat has no taste, i cant taste any flavours, i also cannot smell anything either, ive tried spraying perfumes and i cant smell them, my Doctor said its just the tail end of the nasty virus i had, i had flu but with a short cold fo rabout 4 days at the end.
Ive had abit of phlegm since but i hate this !!

When will my taste and smell come back ?

Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: I cant taste anything or smell

Went back to Doctor today as this bitter taste has woken me up at night and making me gag, its so awful.
PLEASE does anyone know whether it might be my sinuses as my Doctor doesnt seem to think so, now im worried its a sign of something more serious

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
(female)

losthopepain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
Went back to Doctor today as this bitter taste has woken me up at night and making me gag, its so awful.
PLEASE does anyone know whether it might be my sinuses as my Doctor doesnt seem to think so, now im worried its a sign of something more serious
do you have any clear discharge from your nose?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not really, no.

Bitter taste now replaced with a sweet sort of taste now, but still no sense of smell or taste. im really fed up with this now, i dont feel well either.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
(female)

losthopepain HB User

there was a woman who was a florist and lost her sense of smell and taste after sinus surgery.after years of going to doctors and trying every spray she found out that she had CSF Leak and after closing that she recovered her smell. maybe this is where you get the weird taste from? patients may report a metallic or salty taste. rule it out at least, it might be dangerous if left untreated.

Last edited by losthopepain; 03-20-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
(female)

Bea590 HB User

Sounds like acid reflux. That can affect your sinuses as well as your sense of taste/smell. Try Prilosec for a while...you can ignore the "only take for 14 days" on the box, per my doctor. Take it first thing in the morning, 1/2 hour before eating.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
(female)

losthopepain HB User

Tell us how you're feeling and how is your progress in searching for an answer. I'd be really happy to hear how you're doing!

Last edited by losthopepain; 03-20-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I still cant smell or taste anything.

I'm having to take antihistamines up my nostrils, and antibiotic cream up my nose too.

I just had antibiotics for a throat infection which i hoped would help my sinuses.

The sore throat has gone but it hasn't helped my sinuses

I have to go back to the Doctors in 6 weeks but im not hopeful my taste & smell will be back.

I'm hoping I will get a referral to an ear nose throat doctor, will keep you posted. thanks

Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
(female)

losthopepain HB User

let me know how you're feeling!

You need to find a doctor who cares for their patients and is willing to listen to you in the first place. also try to do your own research and communicate with the doctor when you find the right one. Even if they haven't had a patient like you before, if they are really willing to help there are high chances they will somehow be able to.

Last edited by losthopepain; 03-20-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
(female)

losthopepain HB User

Also, have you had a CT scan done? Insist on getting a CT-scan referral to rule out any tumor causing this. I don't want to scare you, but sometimes it's better to ask yourself too many questions than too few. If 99 people are wrong and one is saved, it's worth it! Better safe than sorry... Wish you the best!

Last edited by losthopepain; 03-20-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh my God !!
tumour where? brain, sinuses??

Now im worried.

Wouldnt i have some other issues going on if it were a tumour?

My GP doesnt seem in a hurry to suggest its serious.

If tha CAT scan is under the tunnel forget it i will never be able to go under that unless im put out.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
(female)

losthopepain HB User

I'm sorry I've scared you so much. Don't panic because most probably it's not a tumor. Just be prudent and insist on necessary tests. It's always better to be on the safe side, this is what I wanted to tell you.

IN CASE this would be caused by a nose tumor, because of your complete loss of smell, I supposed such a tumor should have affected the nose bilaterally(Just by the small chance that this is a tumor!!) and you would probably also have stuffy nose.

From what I've read, usually there is no pain with nasal tumors. Usually people complain of stuffed nose and inability to breath. As I've said, don't panic, but just be prudent and stay on the safe side.

I'm sorry again that I scared you so much, but I just had really bad experiences with most of the doctors. My experience must not be your experience.

Last edited by losthopepain; 03-20-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
(female)

losthopepain HB User

Quote:

If tha CAT scan is under the tunnel forget it i will never be able to go under that unless im put out.
I only had my head inside the tunnel, my body was outside.It was a bit of an unpleasant feeling but I kept my eyes closed and the fear went away. But maybe getting some tablet to calm you a bit before would help without needing to put you out. Or try an X-ray firstly, but it doesn't give you the information a CAT-scan does. Some newer CAT-scans are even able to scan in only 10 seconds.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

10 seconds sounds good to me.

Its ok i get petrified at anything i cant get to the bottom of with my health. im cancer phobic.

But i will push to see an ENT doc when i next see my GP as i cant go on with tis horrible no smell or taste.
thank you

Old 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
(female)

losthopepain HB User

Quote:
10 seconds sounds good to me.

Its ok i get petrified at anything i cant get to the bottom of with my health. im cancer phobic.

But i will push to see an ENT doc when i next see my GP as i cant go on with tis horrible no smell or taste.
thank you
I'm really sorry that I scared you so much. Don't panic, please. you don't need to. Most probably is just the virus. There are neurotropic viruses that can cause loss of smell. Search more information about it.

Reply Reply