It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
(male)

MSmithHB HB User
Sinus Polyps - Non Surgical Treatments

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed with nasal polyps and Chronic Sinisitus a little over a year ago. At first I was given a 2 week treatment of prednisone followed by twice daily nasal rinses with Budesonide added. The prednisone was helpful at first but quickly the old symptoms returned. A year later I'm still doing the twice daily nasal rinses with Budesonide, and as I type I can't smell and have limited breathing through my nose.

My doctor has offered me surgery as an option, but I mostly read about people who got the surgery and their polyps quickly returned, so I'd like to look for other options.

I've tried Claritin, Acupuncture, peppermint tea daily, Eucolyptis oil & Peppermint oil in a steamer, Pepper Spray (Sinus Buster) and currently am adding Alkalol to my nasal rinses. Needless to say, I'm still not close to being cured.

I recently read that Nasonex and/or Betnesol has been used to treat polyps. Has anyone had success with them? Also read Singulair can be helpful. Anyone try that?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

gcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB Usergcsjr HB User
Re: Sinus Polyps - Non Surgical Treatments

Polyps are a challenge because their underlying cause isn't well understood. Smoke people's polyps seem to have an allergic component but other people have a condition called Samter's triad which is a combination of polyps, asthma and aspirin sensitivity.

Have you been tested for allergies? If not, you should definitely get tested and work with an allergist to get whatever allergies you have under control with immunotherapy (allergy shots).

Beyond that, you should definitely try Singulair. It helps short circuit the reaction that leads to inflammation (and polyps). The best course of medical treatment would be a course of oral steroids (to shrink the polyps that are already there), an pd taking Singulair along with the daily use of a steroid spray (or the budesonide rinses) to keep them from coming back.

It may take surgery to remove the inflamed tissue, but post-surgery the Singulair and steroid sprays can help keep polyps from recurring.

If you do have the surgery, PLEASE find a surgeon who specializes in the treatment of sinusitis - preferably at a teaching hospital - and make sure the surgeon plans to see you several times after the procedure to remove crusts that can lead to scarring. Most office-based ENTs really aren't equipped to deal with this stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
(male)

MSmithHB HB User
Re: Sinus Polyps - Non Surgical Treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsjr View Post
Polyps are a challenge because their underlying cause isn't well understood. Smoke people's polyps seem to have an allergic component but other people have a condition called Samter's triad which is a combination of polyps, asthma and aspirin sensitivity.

Have you been tested for allergies? If not, you should definitely get tested and work with an allergist to get whatever allergies you have under control with immunotherapy (allergy shots).

Beyond that, you should definitely try Singulair. It helps short circuit the reaction that leads to inflammation (and polyps). The best course of medical treatment would be a course of oral steroids (to shrink the polyps that are already there), an pd taking Singulair along with the daily use of a steroid spray (or the budesonide rinses) to keep them from coming back.

It may take surgery to remove the inflamed tissue, but post-surgery the Singulair and steroid sprays can help keep polyps from recurring.

If you do have the surgery, PLEASE find a surgeon who specializes in the treatment of sinusitis - preferably at a teaching hospital - and make sure the surgeon plans to see you several times after the procedure to remove crusts that can lead to scarring. Most office-based ENTs really aren't equipped to deal with this stuff.
Thanks for the reply. I went to an allergist right after I got diagnosed with the polyps. They did the skin tests and tested for everything under the sun. I tested negative for everything. So then they repeated the tests but with a deeper skin scratch to see if I just had a mild allergy to anything, but nothing. I'm allergy free. Also I never take aspirin so the aspirin sensitivity wouldn't have caused them.

I've been reading about vitamin d deficiencies and am wondering if maybe there's any truth to that. I'm thinking of giving it a shot by taking 5000iu of vitamin d pills daily for 6 weeks.

Thanks for the tip on the singulair. I'll try to get a prescrip.

Last edited by MSmithHB; 01-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Reply Reply