It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
(female)

sl28 HB User
Ongoing nasal irritations ... please help!

I am in desperate need of some suggestions as to what might be wrong with me. I have been to two separate doctors and have done countless treatments, but thus far nothing has provided relief.

Some backstory ... I have always had issues with my nose. For as long as I can remember, I have struggled with congestion and have had a difficult time breathing through my nose. I have taken allergy medications, but none really gave me a ton of relief. I also used some nasal sprays, but have done my best to use it as directed.

About a month ago, I was on a trip and came down with a cold. I took some cold medication and it cleared up, but my nose started running ... and it hasn't stopped (this may or may not be unrelated, but on the plain ride home, I noticed that my ears felt like they were draining and were popping more than they have in the past).

For the next week, I had excessive mucus production and would blow my nose dozens of times a day. I had a constant "tingle" in my nasal passages and would have bouts of sneezing that would last for several minutes (I would sneeze up to 10 to 12 times at a go). I went to the doctor and explained my symptoms and he said that I just had allergies, and recommended an over the counter allergy medication.

I started by taking one Allegra D allergy and congestion tablet a day and my symptoms cleared up for a few days. However, they then returned with a vengeance. I switched to Claritin, but found no relief, so I finally tried Zyrtec at the suggestion of an RN that I work with. This did not help either and my symptoms continued.

I went back to the doctor (a different one) and explained my symptoms, and she diagnosed me with bronchitis. I found this hard to believe because I did not have any coughing with my symptoms and when she "examined" me, she did not even look up my nose even though I was only complaining of nasal problems. She prescribed a cough syrup and amoxicillan, and recommended a steroid shot. I declined the shot because I have not had a good reaction to them in the past, and filled the other prescriptions. I used them for a week straight and had no change in my symptoms.

My current daily regimen is as follows:

- Allegra D twice daily (12 Hr pill) for allergies and congestion.
- Aleve twice daily to deal with headaches.
- Nasal lavages twice daily with a netty pot and saline solution.
- Humidifier nightly during sleep with Vick's vapor steam syrup.
- Breathe Right nasal strip while sleeping.
- Occasionally using nasal spray and Mentholatum cream.

I am miserable. My nose is constantly running. I can go through an entire box of tissues on my worst days. I blow my nose and expel a LARGE quantity of mucus (super gross, but it's basically to the point where it's dripping down my face), but it fills right back up and I have to blow it again. I cannot breathe through my nose for the most part and I cannot stop sneezing.

I have no idea what is going on or what I can do to treat it. I feel like I'm doing everything right and I've been to the doctor twice, but nothing is taking.

Has anyone experienced these kinds of issues and if so, what did you do to treat them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply