It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Sinus Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
(female)

sezza978 HB User
Sinus and off balance problems for a year

Hello

I have been suffering with sinus problems for years but for the past year it's been a nightmare. My main problem is the dizziness and off balance issues. It started a year ago when I had a very bad dizzy spell that lasted days. I would be sitting down and it felt like I was on a speed boat bobbing and whooshing around. The doctor said it was an infection but I have been suffering like this over the past year. I walk into doors frequently, left with bruises all over my arms, I feel like I'm being pushed and pulled around when walking, it's like I'm drunk. I have pressure behind and around my nose and eyes. I get headaches often and pain in my right temple and eye. I get stuffy, runny nose and one nostril is always blocked, i have post nasal drip too. I had an allergy test 3 months ago as I've been sneezing for 4 months and it came back I have a tree blossom allergy so I was prescribed nasal spray which doesn't work plus it's winter so no blossom!!!! My ENT ruled out inner ear problems as he said my dizzy spells wouldn't last for days if it was ear related.
I have a CT scan in a couple of weeks but wondered if anyone else has similar symptoms especially the off balance.
I know sinus cancer is rare but its always at the back of my mind as I'm a worrier

Sarah

Old 02-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User
Re: Sinus and off balance problems for a year

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your sinus problems. It can be debilitating I know. I'm currently 13 days post-op after a septoplasty/concha bullosa reduction. I had a year long battle with chronic sinusitis. I also freaked out in the beginning and was convinced it cancer (I'm a worrier too!).

At this stage I think put cancer out of your mind. There is no point in getting yourself into a state over a very big maybe.

Just for your peace of mind I've listed the biggest risks factors and most common symptoms of sinus cancer below. The symptoms you mentioned in your post sound a lot more mild than the common cancer symptoms below (that's not to say that what you're experiencing isn't horrible! Believe me, I know how awful persistant sinusitis is)

The biggest risk factors for sinus cancer are HPV, Smoking, Exposure to some chemicals (as in working with them on a daily basis), Radiotherapy for hereditary retinoblastoma.

The most common symptoms of paranasal sinus cancer are:
persistently blocked nose
feeling of recurrent "sinus infections"
bleeding without apparent cause from the nose
progressive pain and swelling of the upper of the face or around the eyes
closing up of one eye, blurred vision, or vision loss
persistent pain in the forehead, the front of the skull, or over the cheekbones
swelling in the roof of the mouth
loosening of teeth, poorly fitting dentures, or bleeding from upper teeth sockets

In the mean time try steam with inhalant oil, sinus rinsing, a humidifier and I found a good high performance vitamin such as Berocca helped with the constant dizziness.

I hope you've found this helpful

Leigh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

sezza978 HB User

Hello

Thank you for your reply. I have tried most things over the years but nothing seems to shift my sinus issues. The only thing I haven't tried is the saline drops.
All sprays and de congestion tablets don't work for me.

Thank you for the info. I know I'm stressing myself out for what could nothing serious but its just been going on for so long now that the bad thoughts get worse.

It effects my quality of life as when I'm having a bad dizzy day I can't leave the house. I look after children too so I worry I case I pass out (which has never happened yet)

Did you suffer with dizziness? What is Septoplasty/concha bullosa?

Hope your feeling well after your op

Thanks agin for your reply

Sarah

Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User

I know, the feeling. You feel so sick for so long that your mind starts going to dark places. But sinus cancer is rare so that you make you feel better.

It really does affect your quality of life. You get to the stage where your whole life is revolving around your sinuses. It's horrible.

You say you have tried most things over the years. Have you tried a neti pot or sinus rinse bottle? I used a neti pot before the op and have been using a sinus rinse bottle since the op and personally prefer the neti pot. It won't cure you but it makes the symptoms a little more bearable while you hunt for a cure.

Sounds like it could possibly be chronic sinusitis but best to check with your ENT. You'll also have a lot more info once you get a CT scan. I was only diagnosed properly after a CT scan. My GP kept telling me it was just "bad luck" and asking if I work with kids (I work in IT/Travel, so I was definitely not being exposed to germs from children).

I suffered with terrible dizziness for a year before the surgery. I think it was caused by sinus pressure. The sinus pressure is gone now and so is the dizziness. For a whole year my head felt like it was full of cement. I had a permanent headache and sore throat, breathing difficulty, on/off fever, discoloured mucus, facial pain, toothache/jaw/neck pain, loss of taste and smell, swollen lymph nodes in my neck, persistent post nasal drip and cough. As well as the dizziness. I was on 12 or 13 different courses of antibiotics (have lost count, although two were post-op). I tried tons of nasal sprays and decongestants and nothing worked. The op seems to have work though. I still have stitches and splints in my nose and there is still a lot of facial tenderness but I'm back at work and my general health overall has improved dramatically.

To answer your question a septoplasty is a procedure to correct a deviated septum (a crooked septum, mine was severely deviated to the right). And a Concha Bullosa is an air filled cavity in the turbinate. Although a better was to describe it, it's kind of like a balloon-like growth in the nasal passage (at least that's what it looks like on the CT scan, mine was on the left). Up to half the population have them but they are usually very small and don't cause any problems. When they are big (mine was HUGE!), they can as well as a deviated septum cause recurrent sinusitis or chronic sinusitis.

As for the allergies. I don't really know too much about that. I just take antihistamines daily and that works for me.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
(female)

Serenity0202 HB User

P.S. Nasal polyps are another big culprit with sinus problems and persistent congestion. They usually accompany Allergic Rhinitis (allergies). But as I said you'll know a lot more once you have the scan.

Hang in there

Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

sezza978 HB User

Exactly it takes over your life.
Not not heard of a neti pot so I will look into that.

It must be so good to feel well again. I bet you had forgotten what it's like
So glad the op went well and has helped you.

Yes my scan will hopefully give me some answers and my ENT seems really good so that's positive.

I have swollen nodes in my neck which I've had for years and had tests on. They gave me lots of worry!

Thanks again for all the advise I really do appreciate it and its good to know I'm not alone
Xx

Old 09-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
(male)

stressmonster HB User

wow .. i got my self tested and my doctor was very thorough . i have a naval septum deviation , a polyp as well as very high counts of allergy .
i get the feeling like i am sitting on a boat while walking and it gets really hard to study or concentrate .. my major problem is the weird boat feeling diziness is the normal for sinus patients i am scared to death that i misht have a brain issue .. off balance is terrible .. also this feeling almost completely fades way when i am playing football

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
(male)

stressmonster HB User

wow .. i got my self tested and my doctor was very thorough . i have a naval septum deviation , a polyp as well as very high counts of allergy .
i get the feeling like i am sitting on a boat while walking and it gets really hard to study or concentrate .. my major problem is the weird boat feeling diziness is the normal for sinus patients i am scared to death that i misht have a brain issue .. off balance is terrible .. also this feeling almost completely fades way when i am playing football

Old 11-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
(female)

dreyfalex HB User

You are both suffering from Mal de Debarquement symptoms (as am I) but it is very interesting for me to hear from you that you also have chronic sinusitis, as I do too. The sinusitis way preceded my dizziness stuff. Though it seems an obvious link, when they tested my vestibular system, they didn't find a vestibular problem so they never connected my balance issues with my sinusitis. I would be very interested to hear what treatments relieve this feeling of being buffeted on a boat. I actually have lost my sense of spatial proprioception, have difficulty with reading, writing, cutting vegies, get anxious when I have to walk distances or when exposed to complex visual stimulation (as at airport or supermarket). No one has looked into treating my sinusitis, they just say there is no treatment for the MdDS.

Reply Reply